Over carbonation and temp problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over carbonation and temp problems

Hey guys, having a few issues with a customer. I have a good idea whats wrong and what to do, just wanted to run it by others.
    The system is a long draw, approx 140' of 5/16 tubing. They are running 60/40 mixed gas. The whole system restrictions, without adding restriction tubing(other than the built 7.5 tower restriction) is 25psi. The different distributors have the pressure set anywhere from 18-34psi.
    First problem, excessive, creamy head. Like shaving cream or whipped topping. Definitely over carbed.
    Second problem, Glycol at 35*. They have two power packs in a small closet, attached to the main office, with inadequate ventilation and this is the best temp they can do. With the closet door open, the temps dropped quickly (30min)to 29* and the units cycled off like normal. So we will have to work with them on ventilation or relocation of chillers.
    Third problem, The air temp in the cooler reads 38*. The liquid temp of the kegs is 33*. The kegs are organized under the evap coils for the cooler, with the temp gauges being way up at the front, by the door. This is a long cooler, with only the one evap being at the far end with the kegs.
    To get 2oz\sec requires 26psi on one set of regs, 28 on the other. Did the system restriction end up too high and is the beer temp too cold? The Glycol problem will be the easy one too fix. Would it be best to try to use the 25/75 to lower the co2 content?

Forgot to mention, the only "unknown" in the system, is the flow meters and monitoring system that was installed after. I was told the added restriction was negligible, but never got a number on how much.

Comment

Any rise or drops to the system? Gly temp is def an issue
      Colin Harrison
      Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Glycol temp is a problem, can't do any adjustments until temp is correct. What is the beer temp at the faucet?
        Also, 33 degree keg temp will overcarbonate faster than 38 degree kegs. Pressure required to maintain 2.5 gas volume at 33 degrees is 22 psig. "Creamy head like whipped cream" are you talking about Guinness? If this is Guinness, this is on wrong gas, should be 25 CO2/75 N2.

Comment

All the beers had this thick creamy head. I know of the gas volume vs temp and have the slide rule for it. But, of course, no matter what I say, the customer sees 38 at the far end of the cooler, by the door, and dismisses the liquid temp of 33-34 at the evap end of the cooler. I explained this to them, even showed them the temp differences and that the evap cycles on and off at 34*.
          I was all set and ready to move the glycol chillers, which by the way work fine with added ventilation. They were going to be moved on top of the keg cooler, which is a plenum ceiling and always has a good cool flow of air circulation. This would also shorten the glycol line run from about 50-60', to only 10' before they connect to the beer bundle. Unfortunately, the electrician, who was supposed to move the power outlet, instead somehow sold them on a stand alone ac unit??? Moving the power packs was option one, changing/adding plain ventilation was next, but this guy sold them a small ac unit for the little closet!!! Now, They have to power and maintain an a/c unit to cool the room where the power packs are and if theres any problem, the temp will rise and the problem will start all over. I am at an impass.
          Of course when I get to technical jargon, the cust thinks I am blowing smoke up their butt and the handyman/electrician dismisses my ideas to solve the problems. Oh, well. Wait and see...

Comment

Working...
          X