Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I kill my kegerator???!!!??Screwdriver thru the cooling panel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I kill my kegerator???!!!??Screwdriver thru the cooling panel.

While chipping ice off the back wall of the inside of my kegerator, I put my screwdriver thru the cooling panel! AAAaargh! Freon or some cooling liquid blew out in a gas at me...but it seems like it is still getting cold. I know I broke all kinds of federal laws but did I kill my kegerator?? I cant believe I made such a stupid mistake...well yes actually I can believe it. The back panel doesnt seem like it can be replaced. I have a Haier kegerator model # HBF05EBSS.
    Thanks for any advice. My wife is going to kill me.
    "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies..."
    -Stone Brewery

Not good, but can possibly be repaired with something like JB Weld
    or a similar product and a recharge. Job for a professional unless you have the tools and know how.
    "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
    Gram Parsons

Comment

With all due respect to Acmemfg, patch jobs will not work.

crashlann, unfortunately, you have just killed your kegerator. The evaporator is made of stamped aluminum. Aluminum is very tough to work with as far as welding the hole shut. When you put the screwdriver through the evaporator plate you opened the system to the atmosphere. Because the oil in the system is hygroscopic it will pull moisture out of the atmosphere like a sponge. Any moisture in a refrigeration system bad news.

The only option would be to replace the evaporator but, by the time the evaporator & the filter/drier are replaced, the system is evacuated to remove any moisture & the unit recharged, the cost would be close to a new unit.

THE ICEMAN
      Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 08-19-2010, 08:03 PM.
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Bummer

Well thank you for the feedback. Im a moron. I might take the tank, hose and tap and reconfig my garage frig into a kegerator. This kegerator still runs and is keeping a steady 50F after 2 hours, is there any danger in using it? I could use it for homebrewing, temp controlling my fermentor. Thanks again.
        "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies..."
        -Stone Brewery

Comment

Working...
        X