Dual Tap Home Kegerator Dispensing Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Tap Home Kegerator Dispensing Issue

I appear to have some sort of pressure issue that is inconsistent between two 1/6 torpedoes. Here is the set-up:

1) Single Tap kegerator converted to dual tap kegerator.
    2) CO2 runs from container to single line regulator to splitter (splitter has separate shut off valves). PSI is set at 12. The CO2 line to the splitter is 18 inches, and from splitter to coupler is 18 inches.
    3) The two beers are Allagash Dubbell and Dogfishhead 90 Minute.
    4) When I pour the DF 90 I have no problems.
    5) When I pour the Allagash, I get some foam, then beer. When I shift the handle to close the faucet and stop the pour, the Allagash keeps coming out, albeit as foam. It is basically pushing through the seal of the faucet. I have replaced the faucet, tightened the faucet, loosened the faucet with no success.
    6) The only way to stop the flow is to cut the CO2 line to the Allagash and pull the pressure release on the coupler.
    7) I called Allagash and they said the PSI should be at 15-16...higher than I already have it. I think they thought I had a long line. I have not tried it because I understand physics enough to know that higher pressure will not alleviate my issue.

Is there any chance that I could have a bad coupler? Or do I need to get a dual line regulator to independently control the PSI?

Any help would be appreciated...
    Last edited by Jay Tee; 04-15-2010, 02:56 PM.
    2010 1st time home kegerator (dual tap)
    Dogfishhead 90 minute (kicked)
    Allgash Dubbell
    Great Divide Hecules IIPA

Boy...you have some issues. First off, Allagash knows better than anyone what the PSI should be, they made the beer. A longer line will not alleviate the foam issue; it will just allow you to pour the foam more slowly if the system is out of balance. The temperature of the kegs in question is also a key...what is the pour temperature? Much over 38-40 degrees and you are gonna have foam. I don't see a coupler problem here. All that does is serve as a vehicle to get the beer from the keg to the line. It seems to be doing that rather well. Beer coming through a faucet after you shut it closed is the indicator of a troublesome faucet. Why not try........
    1. Replace that faucet with one you know is good (like the one you use to pour the Dogfish 90) and see what happens.
    2. If that solves the problem, there you have it. Faucets are cheap.

I use a 3 valve manifold for all my kegs (1 line in, 3 out...all the same pressure). Have not had any kind of pressure related problems with my system...of course all my beers are pretty main stream. Nothing weirdly exotic. Truth be told, it isn't going to solve the problem of your beer blowing through the faucet. That is a new one on me. Can't see the problem lying anywhere but the faucet though.
    "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
    Gram Parsons

Comment

Originally posted by Acmemfg View Post
      1. Replace that faucet with one you know is good (like the one you use to pour the Dogfish 90) and see what happens.
      2. If that solves the problem, there you have it. Faucets are cheap.
      Agreed. If beer or foam continues to come out once the faucet is closed, there isn't anything else I could imagine it being.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the input. My friend told me I should get a pair of Perlick taps anyhow...do you guys agree those are the best?
        2010 1st time home kegerator (dual tap)
        Dogfishhead 90 minute (kicked)
        Allgash Dubbell
        Great Divide Hecules IIPA

Comment

I have a set of the Perlick 525SS faucets. Opinions vary, but I like mine quite a bit. A tad pricey, but worth it I think.
          "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
          Gram Parsons

Comment

I had a bad faucet from BevFact and I replaced it with the cheaper one that came with the Danby kegerator and it fixed the continuing pour problem.

Comment

Take the faucet apart and check for any issues with the washer. It should be part of your normal cleaning of your system.
              On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Originally posted by Acmemfg View Post
                I have a set of the Perlick 525SS faucets. Opinions vary, but I like mine quite a bit. A tad pricey, but worth it I think.
                Same here.....I love 'em!
                Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

Never been a fan of the Perlick faucet, give me a good ole stainless steel faucet any day. The Perlicks seem to pour too fast for me.
                  As far as the foam issue, Allagash recommends this beer served between 40 - 50 degrees. This higher temp would account for the higher pressure requirement.

Comment

Working...
                  X