Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Guest Lukkero

Scott,

New to these forums. i cant figure out how to post a link so im just sending you a message instead. Im the cellarman at one of the largest hotels in australia. We go through 300 kegs a week and have 80 beer lines. Our beer unfortunately is very very bad. Along with cleaning, pressure and temperature variables which are very well covered in the information on the micromatic forums i wanted to know your opinion on glasswear. Are glasses which have 'treated' bases prefferable for serving the best beer? Here is a link to our most popular treated glasses in australia.

Our hotel does not have these glasses and was wondering whether it would be a worthwhile investment to purchase some. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Luke

Luke,

Regarding "treated" bases of glassware - also known as etched:

This glassware claims to prevent what it actual creates - flat beer. Probably designed by those that are unfamiliar with beer and dispensing systems. At times, systems and glassware are inferior as they are incapable of maintaining gas content of the beer from the keg to the customer. Flat beer and overfilling is often the result and froth is non-existent. Perception of the products’ image suffers.

This glassware causes a "false" head by etching the bottom of the glass thus allowing for a point of nucleation for the CO2 in the beer. Identical to what happens in a dirty glass where the contamination provides nucleation. Once the gas adheres, it then breaks off and rises. This continuous action forms a head of foam but leaves behind flat beer.

The key to dispensing draught beer successfully is to have an aesthetic look while providing a product to the customer as the brewer intended. Those retailers who market this concept and can acquire this will win. Fix the system and clean glassware properly. Do not rely on a false presentation.

Luke, leave your email in a private message to me if you desire to have consultation on your existing system's shortcomings.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute
Working...
X