Help - kegerator issues! Taste problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - kegerator issues! Taste problems

So they say the 3rd time is a charm right?

We currently own a Danby DKC445BL kegerator, equipped to hold 1/6 & 1/4 kegs. Many of the resolves we have read have been for the standard 1/2 keg and thus, we have been unable to get a clear solution on our issue.

What is the issue?

The beer that is being poured out of the tap is currently shooting out foamy and very flat tasting. A few of the troubleshooting steps we have taken thus far to attempt fixing this issue:

1) Used pressurized line cleaning kit to clean kegerator lines and faucet

2) Adjusted thermostat so that the following readings are found, and thermometer in the liquid reads as follows:
    - Water in glass (stored in kegerator) - 34 degrees F.
    - Beer after pour - 38 degrees F.

3) Current pressure is set to 6 PSI - after discussing the issue with Danby, they noted that the instruction manual incorrectly listed Pressure settings at 10-12, should in fact be 4-6 PSI.
    - Note- PSI set about 8 seems to spit out beer and foam. Pour appears to be moving way too quickly at that setting.

4) 1/4 Keg of Bud Light was bought a few days ago (3rd keg in matter of 3 months - still haven't tasted good beer).

5) Beer lines from tap to tower are roughly 5 1/2 feet long and around 3/8" diameter.

We're located in Greenville, SC - sitting right around 1,024 feet above sea level. We're not sure that the beer is not getting enough carbonation, too much, etc. Since we're using a smaller model, we don't know if the 10-12 suggestions we've read are extremely high.

Any advice on possible issues?

Lemme see if I can make a long story short (and still make it understandable)....

Commercially kegged beer (like Bud Light) comes from the brewery with a certain amount of CO2 dissolved in the beer. We all call this carbonation. When they keg the beer, they add just enough pressure in the "head space" of the keg to keep the carbonation from coming out of the beer (which would mean flat beer). No matter what size keg, the carbonation level and pressure in the keg is the same.

When you tap a keg you need to apply enough CO2 pressure to 1) Keep the beer from going flat, and 2) push the beer out of the keg and out the faucet. In the case of Bud Light, you need AT LEAST 12 PSI if your beer temp is 38 degrees (have you calibrated the thermometer you're using?). In fact, 13-14 PSI is probably the best setting for Bud Light. Each beer is different too so don't go by anything the kegerator manufacturer tells you.

The reason you're getting foamy, flat beer is that you're not running enough pressure to keep the carbonation in the beer. It's coming out of the beer and collecting in the beer line and when you open the faucet, you get foam. You should up the pressure to 14-15 PSI and let it sit there at least 24 hours. Then back the pressure down to 13 or so and try it. Chances are you'll have much better beer!
    Last edited by Hophead; 07-01-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

We've upped the pressure and will sit on it for the recommended 24 hours.

We've got the supplies for a fan to help cool the tower if necessary as well - we'll let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again.

Comment

Are you sure you don't have 3/16" lines? If in fact they are 3/8" then the beer will come shooting out and cause foam problems as well. As far as hopheads post, I agree 200%. Great explanation of carbonation.
        Ed
        Blue Line Draft Systems
        www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

thanks!

We appreciate all the help guys! along with upping the pressure we opted to add a homemade tower cooler as well and i tell you what the beer has never tasted this good!! Well as good as bud light is going to be!

Comment

Originally posted by MitchGriff View Post
            3) Current pressure is set to 6 PSI - after discussing the issue with Danby, they noted that the instruction manual incorrectly listed Pressure settings at 10-12, should in fact be 4-6 PSI.
            `
            I can not believe that they would tell you something like that.

I mean, I believe that they told you, but I'm amazed that they would do so.
            Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

Working...
            X