Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Beer Foaming - (Tried and Read Everything)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Beer Foaming - (Tried and Read Everything)

Scott / All,

I have a kegerator conversion using an old fridge in my workshop. I have not drilled a hole in door (its a cool 1950's fridge in great shape), so I just have a helper hold the glass at the proper angle, and I hold the shank and faucet and pour. I have spent hours on this site looking for the solution to my foaming problem. I am on my second keg of Shiner Bock, and have been having constant foam issues for the majority of the second keg. The first half of the keg poured pretty well after the first beer was pulled with a few inches of foam coming out on first pour. This was typical of my first keg too.

Currently the temp shows 34F and the glass of water i keep in the fridge has actually been partially frozen when I have checked the past few days. None of the bigger bottles of soda water have frozen.... About a week ago the beer in the line actually froze, but the keg still sloshed around indicating it was not frozen. I thought it was a thermostat issue, because I live in Texas and it doesnt get that cold out at night! I have tried turning the temperature up, and still get almost all foam on every pour. The temp on the pour is 37F.

I have a micromatic dual pressure regulator set to about 12-14 PSIG. I have almost 5 feet of line and it is all contained inside the fridge in a coil on top of the keg. The lines are full of beer and have no bubbles. I read scotts blog and tried the flashlight trick with out much luck. I have recently cleaned the faucet and the lines in the past week hoping it was some obstruction of the faucet. I am stumped!

Thanks for your help..

IMHO I think your fridge might be a bit cold. If your fridge gets down to 34F I would try dispensing at about 9.5 psig (assuming that you would use 12 psig at 38f) to compensate for your lower temperature. Although, I admit that I do not know the ideal carbonation level of your beer. Hopefully, it's not too late for your keg. I'm sure the more experienced guys on this forum could tell you better, or if your keg is beyond saving.

Comment

If i've read this properly it sounds as if your temp dropped to around freezing. Did you adjust your PSI accordingly, probably not, therefore your keg is probably over carbonated now. First thing you should do is get the temp constant, it shouldn't vary that much. Then untap your keg ( don't take off coupler though) and shake the keg a little. pull out the pressure release. Your trying to get some of the excess co2 out of solution. This may or may not work though. Also why wouldn't you drill a hole in the fridge i too have a vintage refer and it looks pretty cool with a vintage tap handle on it. What a pain thats got to be to have help when pouring a glass.

Comment

I'd go with a lower pressure also. The colder the beer the more carbonation it will hold until exposed to the warmer ambient temperatures. This break out of the CO2 is what is causing the excess foam.

Turn off your regulator, leaving the keg tapped. Pull the safety release valve on the side of the coupler to release the keg pressure. Now lower the regulator pressure to 9 psig and repressurize the keg. Test pour, if too slow go up a pound at a time until you get the pour you want. Be aware that at a lower pressure the pour will be slower. Also, remember to increase the pressure back to 12-14 psig should you decide to raise the temp of your frig.

This is why you burp more when you drink ice cold beer. All the excess stored CO2 is releaed in the belly. Also, causes you to drink less cause of the "bloated" feeling.

D

Comment

Working...
        X