Slow beer flow from 1 out of 4 lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow beer flow from 1 out of 4 lines

I have a problem with one of the lines of a 4 product tower where the beer is coming out really slow. It takes 5 min to fill a pitcher. None of the other lines have this problem, only this one. They have had 2 places look at it beside myself, and they could not figure it out.

System:
    4 prodcut tower
    Glycol cooled 20-30ft
    5ft 3/8" ID Beer line
    20-30 ft 5/16" ID (i think) Beer line
    Pressure @ 20psi for all products (no foaming on any product)
    Main gas supply @ 40psi

Tried:
    Changing keg/product
    Changing the coupler (no coupler problem)
    Changing the faucet (no faucet problem)
    Cleaning the lines (slow, but tried a few times)
    Checking the connection bet the 3/8" line & vinyl 5/16"
    Increasing/decreaseing the pressure
    -when I increase the pressure @ 30psi the flow increases a little (not enought to pour it at regular speed, still very slow) but the beer comes out in all foam
    -slower when I decrease pressure.

One company just gave up, and the other (i think the guy doesn't know what he is doing and wants to make a buck - didn't know what a coupler was) wants to take apart the tower.

I have not idea what to do - there is 2 more lines from the 6product trunk line so if there is a problem somewhere in the vinyl line it is possible to change it. I haven't done this because its almost impossible to get to and not sure if it is going to be worth it.

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas?
    Last edited by better than mama; 01-16-2009, 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Something is restricting the flow through that line. Three possible scenarios; the line is frozen because the glycol unit is set too low or needs to be serviced, the line is kinked somewhere (this can happen in the tower fairly easily) or something is clogging the line. I would look in the tower first and determine if that line got twisted via someone turning the faucet. After that I would look at your glycol unit and check the temp or both the glycol and the beer coming out of the faucet. Last one you would need someone to come in and blow out that line if it is deemed necessary.
    Ed
    Blue Line Draft Systems
    www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Frozen Scenario - it seems to not be frozen because I did a cleaning with hot water and it made no difference. The Glycol seems to be at the right temperature too.

Tower Scenario - The tower is one of those Perlick T styles and I would have to break it open - is there any way of doing this and getting it back together?

I an not sure if it is something clogging it but this seems to be the most possible option - but I am not sure what is inside it or how it could have gotten there. Any tip on getting it out in some easy fasion? Where or how would I be able to get it blown out? (NYC)

Thanks so much

Comment

Do not try to take the tower apart, it's a sealed unit. I agree with Ed, either a kink in the line or something blocking flow. Educated guess is there is a blockage at the beginning of the restriction tubing at the bottom of the tower, under the bar top. Perlick has a unique way of restricting their towers. If this line happened to get a piece of a cap from a keg (Labatt style) lodged in the line, this is where it will be. I have a chain restuarant on my service route with two four product Perlick towers. Seven out of eight run perfect, the third faucet on one of the towers is experiancing the same issue. I have not taken it apart yet because it's going to mean taking out a sink and opening up a thigh wall. Customer is dealing with it now but the time will come. Keep me posted!

Comment

Perlick uses or used to use a hose on there trunks and the restriction lines that are 2 layer lines. Sometimes the inner layer will collapse, slowing or stopping the flow.They also use a restrictor baffle that looks like a
          plastic spring or curly cue. I had one of my account had that problem. It first happened with one line, so I replaced that resriction line. About a year later a different one did it. I replaced that line. Third time it happened, I replaced the rest of them to alleviate that problem.. The trunk lines are also "glass lined'' I think that is what they call it. They too can collapse. Utter junk,in my opinion. I would start at replacing the restriction lines between the trunk and the tower. I think Glasstender also used those lines.My account had a Perlick tower and a Perlick glycol cooler, so I am assuming it is also a Perlick trunk line.
          Last edited by TAPMAN; 01-17-2009, 02:54 AM.

Comment

If you have not attempted to blow the line clear from to faucet to the coupler, do so.
            At times during installation, debris can find itself in the line and become an obstruction at the connection to the tower.

Remove the coupler from the 3/8" jumper line line and place the line in a bucket so that you can see if anything comes out. Hook up a circulation pump to the shank and pump water through the line into the bucket. Reconnect everything to determine if this solved the issue.

If this does not solve the issue, you may need to inspect the connection at your wall bracket and possibly your connection at the bottom of the tower.

What are your glycol temperature settings? What is your gas source?
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Not to hijack this thread but I just got a call from an account that I went to this morning and there is a Pelick tower with a dead line. This one had no flow whatsoever. I actually thought it to be the smart couplers in the cooler but it tuned out not to be that. I need to go back when they are closed and blow out the line to see if that solves the problem. The system also has pumps in place. Is there a way to troubleshoot the Flo-Jet pump without pulling stuff off the wall. If figure if I need to I can remove the out line and see if there is flow but if there is another way I'm all ears.
              Last edited by edramshaw; 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM.
              Ed
              Blue Line Draft Systems
              www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Thank you for all your posts.

The second guy that came forced CO2 throught the line from the faucet shank with the line disconnected from the wall bracket, but that didn't do anything. I don't have the adapter for faucet to coupler cleaning. Checked the 3/8" Line and coupler - no problems where.

The gas is G mix, and I think the glycol was around 30-32F but i'll double check. Pour temp is around 37-38F.

I am going to wait and see what the Restaurant wants, but if I get the chance I think I am going to try and change the hose to one of the extras hanging from the trunk line.
                I will try to keep the situation posted.

Comment

I've had similar problems with Perlick towers.

Generally the problem was branding cap from the keg or other debris in the lines. Back flushed from the tower to the cooler solved this problem.

Last one I had was actually the faucet washer had twisted into a figure 8 and blocked the line. These Perlick faucet shanks screw into the tower and alot of techs have replaced the original washer with a beer washer. The beer washers will flatten out or twist causing a slow foamy pour.

D

Comment

I solved my problem. Went back in and tried to back flush the lines with no luck. For the hell of it I tried running warm/hot water through the lines next to that one and sure enough it began flowing. Apparently it was frozen, I backed off the glycol unit by 2 degrees and refed the lines. Should be ok from here.
                    Ed
                    Blue Line Draft Systems
                    www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Working...
                    X