1/2 barrel of Guinness... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 barrel of Guinness... Help!

Ok, I have a nice kegerator, I have the proper Guinness tap and stout faucet, I am running 75n-25co2 blend at about 38psi, and about 40°F.
    When I tapped the keg it was completely flat. I let it sit under higher pressure, about 45 psi for a couple of days and then brought it back down to 38 psi.
    No longer flat, actually not bad at all.
    However, it now pours very quickly, and the Guinness come out looking flat (transparent, not opaque) and turns opaque in the glass. Head is a bit lacking. Have had the keg almost 2 weeks and the holidays are right around the corner.
    I would appreciate any and all help.

I am asking why It doesn't seem to pour right, and why it has very little head.

Comment

you might have a bad keg if you untap keg do you hear gas releasing from the keg? your settings sound good sometimes kegs leak at the seal where the keg coupler plugs into the keg usually these are over carbonated and heady.This could be your problem gas leaking from the keg or maybe your mixed gas bottle is not mixed ,overtime straight nitro will flatten beer.

Comment

I would definately untap it and listen for a hissing...at 38 psi if there is a leak from the keg you should hear it pretty darn quick.

When you first tapped it did you hear the whoosh of gas pressurizing the keg?
        That's what told me my last keg of Molsons was bad.

Where did you get your beer gas? (I am in Phoenix too) Canyon State Carbonics has done good with me so far.

Comment

Ah ha!

I got my gas from Phoenix Welding Supply Co. On 7th St. I am 98% sure you guys are right about the keg though. There was a almost moldy residue on the top of the keg. I cleaned it off before I taped it, but it seamed like it had blown out a little but I just figured it was from the filling process. Well to late to take it back and it is extremely tolerable as it is now, so I will finish this one and in the future I will exercise much more caution when I buy the keg. Thanks guys!

Comment

Assuming your keg was 40F based on a liquid thermometer inside the keg, I would shoot for about 34.4 psig for good old Guinness.

Comment

parts

zanahade

i had a similar problem, bevmo was even willing to take the keg back. then i remembered that i cleaned the faucet. so i looked at the parts link on the faucet page and realized that i had switched the order of parts 15 and 16. check your assembly.

look at the tab marked replacement parts worth a try.

P.S. i have used phx weld gas works gr8 for me.

Comment

Working...
              X