Beer Too Cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Too Cold?

I have a Danby model kegerator and did the 33K resistor mod. The beer (currently Coors Light) gets very cold and currently reads ~33 in the glass. I have the CO2 at 12psi and still get 75% foam after the first pour. Does having the temperature this cold cause significant foam also?

Also seems that the beer is flowing too fast. It only takes ~3 seconds to fill a 20oz glass. Tough to tell since most of it is foam, but seems to be coming out of the faucet very fast. Any ideas? Thanks.

The colder the beer, the more gas it absorbs. As cold as you are, you could afford to lower your pressure 2 or 3 psi without risking going flat.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

How long has the beer been subjected to this pressure at 33F?
      Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

I've had the keg for ~1 week.

Comment

At that temperature the beer probably has overcarbonated. this is as risk when the beer is this cold. Gas being a gas, the colder the environment, the more it will contract and thus easier for the liquid to acquire excess gas.
          Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

I have a dandy too. I ended up soldering a longer wire for the temp sensor (on the lower left) and putting it on top of the keg. I run Yuengling at 37 degrees and 12 psi. I've ran 3 yuengling 1/2 barrels that way so far. The first glass o the day is about 1/3 foam and all the rest are a dream. From what I read its from the spigot and tower hose being warm on the first draw. I got one of those atomic clocks hanging above my kegerator. It shows my garage temp on the lower left and my keg temp on the lower right
            Jesus loves you but I'm his favorite.

Comment

Working...
            X