Get an accurate thermometer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get an accurate thermometer!

I just purchased a beverage-air bm23 5 days ago... bought a test keg - 5gal of blue moon beer (it's cheap, and spring is the time for Belgian whites!), and have been fighting excessive foam from pour one.

argh!

I spent something like $1500 on beer cooler + taping equipment + keg + rental van to get it home... I was expecting it to just work. Too much foam!! argh!

After reading a lot on this forum I was convinced that my 5' of line wasn't enough and that I had a balance problem and needed a longer line between the coupler and the faucet. I was worried that I didn't clean the new lines. I thought that even though the tower is air cooled that it was still heating up. I thought my CO2 pressure was too low, then too high. Nothing worked.

Turns out that my OXO meat thermometer was 7-10 degrees off (measured in a glass of water sitting in the cooler). I bought a $12 cheapy digital thermometer at Target today and my beer was at 45 degrees Fahrenheit! I since turned up my cooler and even though the beer is still warm at 42F, already my foam problems are 90% gone (still a 1" head, but that's better than a glass of only foam!).

The think is... I've been overcooking steaks with this damn thermometer for the past couple of years. I KNEW it was off! GAH!

My advice: If you are having foam problems, check your temperature. Before you go futzing around with anything else, make sure your thermometer is calibrated... or go pick up a digital thermometer and double check your temps!

Lesson learned.

Mmm....beeer.

What A great lesson for everybody! On my route I always carry two and compare them often. I have found the digitals to be the best they are either accurate or stop working! Harbor Freight $4.99

Comment

Duh! How many times have we posted info on using a calibrated thermometer? Absolutely must know accurate temperature of the beer in the keg before attempting to dispense.

I remember starting in the business back in the early 80's for a beer wholesaler. We were issued a box of the dial pocket thermometers and were instructed to not only hand them out to our customers like candy, but to show them how to use them.

Hopefully this gives you an idea that temperature trumps everything and has for as long as draught beer has been around.
      Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

The "Duh" is from hanging out with my daughter. This language is starting to wear off on me. Please ignore my sarcasm and accept my apology if you find it offensive.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

1 inch is the perfect head on a beer I think my kegerator is a sanyo it gets my beer down to 34 degrees which produces little to no head psi is set to 8

Comment

So after doing some research online, I decided to buy the Harbor Instant Read Thermometer couple months ago and it was the best decision I have ever made. Comparing to both a traditional analog meat thermometer and my scientific glass thermometer, this Habor has never read more than a single degree different than either of them. That's straight up impressive!
            HOSFuDN.jpg

Comment

Great lesson here. I always explain it this way to my Retailers,

What is the first thing a Dr. does when you are not feeling well? He takes your temperature!

Comment

Working...
              X