Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brown, cloudy hefeweizen?

Hey everyone,
    I just picked up a 1/4 keg of Widmer Hefeweizen with a tag date stamped Feb. 20 2008, tapped it and found it to be cloudy and brown, looking like carbonated brown water. From what i remember Hefeweizen is supposed to carry a honey color and this just looks brown and dirty. Could I be a victim of a bad keg? Or maybe foul or old beer? It tastes ok, not what i remember hefeweizen tasting like, and is sharp on the tongue, again not what i remember hefeweizen tasting like. I checked the kegerator and its at 38 degrees with a 10.5 psi, which seems right. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help it is gladly appreciated.

From what I understand, Widmer is not a true hefe and I've never had a Widmer. But the cloudy is right, the brown not so much unless it is a dunkleweizen. Hefes get their distinct taste from the particular yeast that is used. This yeast is low flocculating giving the cloudy appearance and it offers a taste of bananas, cloves and often bubblegum.

I don't know if Widmer makes a dunkleweizen, but I'd think it would take a quite a bit of spoilage to turn a hefe brown.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I've had Widmer Hefewiezen from the Hooters by my house recently. I'd say it's color was a little darker than an American Unfiltered Wheat, but not much. Even still, not dirty brown. Here's a pic of Widmenr hefeweizen from their site. They don't make a dunkel, but they make an Amber ale, an IPA, and a few seasonals. Their seasonal crimson wheat that is reddish brown in color. Is that what you got, maybe?

If you did get hefeweizen and it doesn't look like this, I'd take the keg back, along with a color printout of this picture, and a sample of the beer back to the store and get an exchange.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by cubby_swans; 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Widmer is not brown, it is more like a golden yellow color. And it is cloudy, like any good hef. But it does not drink like a thick hef.
        It should not be sharp on the tounge. It has a refreshing almost fruit hint, and is real smooth with no after taste and very drinkable.
        A very tasty beer in my opinion.
        If I were you I would exchange it for a different keg. From what you described it doesn't sound like the Widmer that I know.

Make sure the place you get them from store all their hef kegs upside down.

Comment

Dirtbag is correct it is very important that Widmer Hef be stored upside down and in proper temp. Prolonged storage rightside up will cause this dark color. It should not have a sharp taste. Return it get a fresh one.

Comment

Just curious, but why the need to store upside down?
            I don't believe any retailer here in the Richmond area does this?

Dennis

Comment

All keg hefs should be stored chilled at 38, and upside down. The reason they store hef upside down is because it is an unfiltered beer, that is what makes it cloudy, so all of the particles settle at the bottom of the keg. If the bottom is the valve side (upside down), when you stand it right side up to tap it, all the yeast and stuff that makes hefs so good filters down through the keg. That is how the brewers intend for it to be. I've heard it called 'releasing the yeast'.
              With bottles you are supposed to roll them on their side before opening.

Hefs have some of the highest internal carbonation levels of all the mainstream beers. You would not want to take a keg that has been stored right side up and try to shake it to 'release the yeast', (or a bottle) you'll have wild beer on your hands for awhile. What I'm saying is it makes more sense to simply store upside down and flip over when ready to enjoy.

DCullender, that is just how it is done. If the place you get your kegs from, (assuming you like hef and buy them) gives you some lame story as to why they do it the way they do, -it's BS.
              I would question them as to why they do not do this. And then I would not buy hefs from them until they change, because it ruins the keg IMO.

Comment

This topic is a thorn in my side I work for an A B wholesaler and improper storage of unpastuerized domestic barrels is everywhere. As much as I try to educate it is still done. Find a reputable retailer to purchase your barrels check the code dates. Feel the barrel before you buy is it cold or room temp. Ask was the hef barrel stored unside down.

Comment

Originally posted by budman1896 View Post
                  This topic is a thorn in my side I work for an A B wholesaler and improper storage of unpastuerized domestic barrels is everywhere. As much as I try to educate it is still done. Find a reputable retailer to purchase your barrels check the code dates. Feel the barrel before you buy is it cold or room temp. Ask was the hef barrel stored unside down.
                  Does the same hold true for American unfiltered wheats, then? I buy one called Boulevard Wheat, but all the liquor stores I get it from have to order, so when I get it, it's fresh from the distributor. I'm on my 4th or 5th keg, and they've all been good to me. I do know that with this beer there is not much sediment when you buy it bottled.

For hefe bottles, I usually pour most of the beer into a glass, then with about a half inch of beer remaining in the bottle, shake it to loosen all the sediment, then pour into glass, giving me the good stuff that was stuck to the bottom of the glass, and topping the beer off with a bit of head.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I believe what you're getting is the yeast sludge from the bottom of the keg. It won't hurt you, in fact it's good for you, but it is a sign that it's been sitting around for a while. Might as well return it and get a fresh one since age is the enemy of a Hefe.

Comment

Working...
                    X