Noob with a question about Smithwicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob with a question about Smithwicks

Great forum you guys have here! I learned a lot more just reading a few threads. My question is this... does Smithwicks run straight co2 or a Guinness mix? Also what temp work best and pressure for it. Thanks!! DJ

Smithwicks can run the same as any other import or domestic. Straight CO2, 38 deg. pressure depending on your altitude. Tapman

Comment

In between

Smithwicks can be dispensed with pure CO2 or with Mixed gas (N2+CO2), but the mixed gas is different than what is required for stouts like Guinness. I use a 60% CO2 and 40% N2 mix when I dispense Smithwicks at my house. The mixed gas prevents over carbonation when you get near the bottom of the keg. McDantim industries has a great spreadsheet (pasted below) to help you calculate your setup based on the CO2 content levels at which different beers need to be kept.

For example, I've dispensed Smithwicks at 22 psi with the 60/40 mix mentioned above. I have noticed that for 100% CO2 mixes, the McDantim spreadsheet seems to be about 2psi lower than the recommendations from the Zahm and Nagel chart. I don't know if the McDantim spreadsheet recommendations for 60/40 might be on the lower side as well. Then again, Scott Zuhse says in other posts that 60/40 mix pressure should only be between 20-25 psi for most ales/lagers at 38F. The McDantim spreadsheet recommends (assuming 38F) 30 psi for Smithwick's (assuming 2.75 vols/vol) and 27.8 psi for Harp assuming 2.6 vols/vol. According to the McDantim spreadsheet, I'm undercarbonating my Smithwicks. However, Some guy in a bar told me 22 psi for 60/40 mix and that's kind of what I've stuck with.

When I dispense Guinness, I use 32-35 psi with 75%N2 and 25%CO2 mix assuming 38F liquid temperature and 1.2 vols of CO2 per volume of beer which is roughly the desired CO2 content for most stout beers.

The benefits of mixed gas are usually only noticed near the end of the keg. With mixed gas, you'll actually be able to drink the last 10 pints in a liquid form instead of having to pour them into your tub for a bubble bath.

Cheers,

Jeff

Calculate Your Gas Blend for Beer Dispense. McDantim Trumix Blender
      Last edited by Piper; 07-10-2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Very interesting! Since Harp is also brewed by Guinness, do you recommend CO2 or an N2 mix? Do you happen to have the recommended gas volume for Harp?

Thanks!

-ec
        "All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Comment

100% CO2 will work with Harp as well if you follow the rules - know the temperature thus correct pressure and maintain temperature 24/7 from the keg to the faucet. If you have 38 F, use 13 PSIG at sea level. If you do not want to deal with this, follow Piper's recommendation.
          Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

What's this about the last few pints tasting off? I just ran through 2 kegs of Guinness and 1 Harps and all pints tasted great, right down to the bone dry last one.

Comment

I am sooooooooo impressed by this forum and the Pros that help out I cannot explain. I was running my Smithwicks and everything was going great until accidently (ok I had a few) I locked the door of my kegerator open (dooh) and froze the inside condenser for about 3 hours. I adjusted the temp too low and the next thing you know I have foam from hell, a calibrated thermometer is a must. I checked the temp of my first draws and they are 37 degrees and the PSI is 14 (10 feet 3/16 line) ...still a little foamy but tolerable.

Beer is not exactly a science but a work of art.

Comment

Be careful with the 14 PSIG @ 37F unless you reside above 1000' elevation. You may over gas the beer at the bottom (over carbonation) and then have dispensing issues.

Just for grins, have you ever attempted to measure the flow speed of the beer? If possible, find a graduated container that will measure \ capture at least 32 oz. Then pour clear beer into this container for exactly 15 seconds and report amount of ounces dispensed.

Don't worry about the cost of beer. I'll send you compensation even if you drink the beer. Send me a PM with info.
                Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

I'm at 1000 MSL.

Comment

Originally posted by hobster View Post
                    What's this about the last few pints tasting off? I just ran through 2 kegs of Guinness and 1 Harps and all pints tasted great, right down to the bone dry last one.
                    You're right, no problems should exist with the proper pressure and temperature for a 100% CO2 mix with beers using a direct draw system, and in this case the last few pints should be fine. Guinness kegs should also be fine until the end assuming the correct gas mix, temperature and pressure.

Guinness does NEED the mixed gas. Only folks with long beer lines (ie. folks who don't have direct draw kegerators) need the 60% CO2 and 40% N2 mix that I mentioned for beers other than Guinness. The situation I mentioned (ie. the last few pints being all foam) is usually found if you DON'T use 60/40 gas for NON Guinness beers when you have a long beer line system installed. Basically, the pressure of 100% CO2 needed to get the draught to work is so great that over time the beer overcarbonates. When you change the ideal carbonation of a beer you will usually notice this more near the end of the keg. Since N2 dissolves in beer less easily than CO2, the 60/40 mix allows one to use a higher pressure in the system without having more CO2 dissolved in the beer.

In sum, whether doing Guinness gas (75% N2 and 25% CO2), or 100% CO2 with the right pressure and temperature in a direct draw system, Hobster is right. The last pint should be solid.

To be honest, I've gone back and forth between dispensing with Smithwicks with 100% CO2 and 60/40. The results are similar if you have the pressure and temperature balanced, but sometimes the 60/40 head is a little different and preferable to my taste. Just smaller bubbles and a little creamier.

Cheers,

Jeff
                    Last edited by Piper; 07-10-2009, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

Old thread but served it me well tonight. I've had a Smithwicks keg for a while now, and was sure I was reaching the end of it. Sure enough, it started going wild and pouring mostly foam.

I have a Micromatic blender but it wasn't hooked up. So I bled the CO2 out of the keg, hooked up the blender on the lager/ale blend at 22 psi and it's pouring perfect again.

Definitely will be sad to see it kicked!

Oh well, time for a keg of Harp anyway

Durn those 13 gallon Diageo kegs!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X