Problem with Guinness - spurting foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Guinness - spurting foam

I attempted to put Guinness on my kegerator yesterday for the first time. It did not go smoothly, unfortunately. The beer would pour in foamy spurts that were quite messy. To be specific - it would just be pouring foam - and then a high velocity spurt of more foam would launch - and then it'd resume slowly pouring foam again. It would take maybe 5 minutes of settling before anything besides foam was visible in the glass.

Some notes about my setup:
    Kegerator: Beverage-Air BM23
    Gas: 40 cubic foot, 25% CO2/75% N2
    Pressure: ~32 PSI (see notes)
    Coupler: Taprite CH5300U-SS
    Faucet: Taprite SF2003
    gas hose: 5/16" ID vinyl, maybe 8 feet
    beer hose: 3/16" ID vinyl, maybe 7 feet
    Temperature: around freezing (see notes)

The coupler is brand new. Everything else has been used before and works fine (the stout faucet has not been used for beer though - only used with nitro coffee pushed with pure N2). I noticed that my drain container (as in, what my drain drains into, inside of kegerator) had ice in it - so I set the temperature to be a bit warmer and will check again on it in a day. I tried adjusting the pressure between 25PSI and 40PSI and did not really see any improvement in the spurting. I've left it at 32 PSI. One interesting thing that I noticed was that when I connected the coupler to the keg I did not immediately see beer rush into the beer lines. I am used to seeing that when connecting a new keg. With the higher pressure involved here - I definitely expected that. I only saw beer flow into the beer lines when I operated the faucet. Further, I can see big gas bubbles in the beer hose.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

I posted a video of my setup here: https://youtu.be/IwwbB4G2gDg

It's feeling like a coupler issue to me, but I'm really not sure. Would sincerely appreciate some help!

Comment

Coupler or the keg, there is no beer making it into the line. If you shake the keg, can you hear slush? Might be frozen.
      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
        Coupler or the keg, there is no beer making it into the line. If you shake the keg, can you hear slush? Might be frozen.
        Definitely not frozen. measured temperature in my kegerator at around 34-35 Fahrenheit.

Turning the keg on its side gets beer flowing. I believe this means bad keg spear. Any concerns with turning the keg upside down?

Comment

You'd probably just do better to return it for credit and get a new one. Air temp is not a good measure of things in this situation, you really need liquid temp. Air is highly volatile and depending on the cut ins and cut outs of the unit, could vary +/- 5 degrees at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
            You'd probably just do better to return it for credit and get a new one. Air temp is not a good measure of things in this situation, you really need liquid temp. Air is highly volatile and depending on the cut ins and cut outs of the unit, could vary +/- 5 degrees at any time.
            I got in a new keg of Guinness today and it immediately worked perfectly. Setup was fine - problem was a bad keg. I wonder how frequent of a problem that is. Methinks not very!

Comment

It happens. Seals get nicked too. Everything is a wear item, it just sucks when it wears out on you.

Comment

Just realized I never updated this thread. New keg started spurting foam after I posted. Eventually I tracked the problem down to a bad keg coupler. The latch on the handle had been installed upside down (at factory, not by me). When I first latched the coupler I would have put a lot of pressure on it - so initially the keg spear would be in the right place. But the latch allowed the spear about 1/4" of movement - and it would slowly, over time, move up and eventually disconnect from the keg. New handle with latch in the correct orientation fixed things and I've poured a couple kegs of Guinness perfectly since that fix.

Comment

Recently I decided to pamper myself with an imported beer of the Guinness brand. I live in Italy and this beer is expensive. I hardly drink such beer - I am content with the budget one. What attracted me was that this is a traditional Irish beer and there is a nitrogen capsule inside the can. They say it doesn't foam in the glass. Came home, turned on Irish folk, poured it into a glass and grimaced ...
                  It tastes like a beer that has been opened and put in the sun for two days. Although the expiration date and imports were consistent.
                  Question: This capsule absorbs gases and this beer must be like this or was I still deceived? I have never been so disappointed even when I bought free essays.
                  Last edited by memding; 12-10-2020, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Hi all! I recently read an interesting summary of an article example in a health magazine. The article discussed how regular physical activity improves both physical and mental well-being. It highlighted various studies that demonstrated how exercise reduces the risk of chronic diseases, enhances mood, and boosts cognitive function. It also emphasized the importance of finding an exercise routine that suits individual preferences and goals. Overall, the article emphasized the transformative effects of exercise on overall health and happiness.

Comment

Working...
                    X