Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure/Distance/Temp help for Guinness Stout dispensing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure/Distance/Temp help for Guinness Stout dispensing.

I was lucky enough to acquire an entire Micromatic system for my house, including blender, glycol chiller, a 6 tap dispenser and couplings. I had the foam detectors , but foolishly sold them thinking I wouldn't need them, and so far I haven't but I'm regretting not having them "just in case". I spent the money to have the system installed by a professional and so far everything has been working great aside from an issue with Miller Light which was a foam hassle.

Enough background I think. I finally got a 1/6 of Guinness and I'm trying to find a guide for the correct pressure or a formula to calculate it before I waste $100 worth of Guinness due to not knowing what the heck I'm doing. I have 30 feet of line, and the beer fridge is at 38F and right now I'm at about 30 pounds of pressure. Too much? Too little?

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was hoping someone would help you out, but honestly with information posted, I don't think anyone can give even an educated guess. Right now I assume you have a similar system you sold, I'd check the blender and see what ratio is, as with Miller straight CO2? At 30 feet most pros would use a blender. So if you need more help can you post as much information as possible. Also as a note foam detector or FOB is mainly used by bars to save money when they change kegs, unless you are going through several kegs a week, it really is useless, thanks and welcome.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, been away from the computer for awhile. I hope your blender is a dual blender, one blend for "ales/lagers" and one for "stouts". Using quotes because that's how the 2 valves are marked on a MicroMatic blender. The "ales/lager" side is either 60/40 or 70/30 depending on age of blender, the "stouts" side is always 25/75, CO2/NITROGEN.

​Guinness MUST have 25/75 gas. Set the pressure for 35 psig, check the faucet nipple to ensure you have the restrictor disc (thin S/S disc with 5 pin holes), the straightener (white nylon piece that sits under the disc) and the "O" ring that holds everything in place. Once you have the proper gas (25/75), the proper faucet, 35 psi pressure on the gas the Guinness should pour perfectly.

​For anyone who does not know the proper way to pour Guinness:
      ​1. Hold glass at 45 Degree angle and pour Guinness into glass until the beer meets the edge of the glass.
      ​2. Set glass down and do not disturb for approx. 60 seconds to allow for cascade effect which forms a beautiful 1/2 inch of thick tight head.
      3. Pour straight down the center of the glass to top off.
      ​4. Wait for cascade to finish and ENJOY!

Comment

Thank you! Now it's my turn to apologize for the delay in responding. I really appreciate the information!

Yes I do have a dual blender with a lager output and a stout output. The guy that helped me set up the system (one of the local guys that does system setups for all the South Beach bars and clubs) made sure the mixes were correct, and if my experience over the last two years is any indicator, it's all set up perfectly with the exception of that one Miller Light keg which never quite worked well. Ciders, IPAs, my own homebrew meads, and the several lagers I've had in the system all pour perfectly.

35 PSI! Yes! That was the magic number after a little trial end error I got a perfect pour and finally realized the dream of pouring my own perfect pint of Guinness at home!

I have to say that even with the added difficulties of maintaining a commercial system, I'm very glad I have to have it in my garage.

After two years, the only thing that's a pain is cleaning the lines. I don't have a pump (crazy expensive for a home user) so I fill up a Sanke keg with BLC, run 5 gallons through, fill the same keg with plain water, run that through, then AGAIN with Star San. It's a whole morning to do all six taps but I only do it twice a year or if something gets funky before then.

Can you recommend an easier method of cleaning the lines? Are those home pump systems usable on my system?

Also, I haven't changed out the glycol in two years. It still gets nice and cold. Should I drain and put new glycol in there?

Comment

Working...
        X