"Simple" Systems w/ Huge Headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Simple" Systems w/ Huge Headaches

I own 3 sportsbars in Indianapolis, and we have a the same draft dispensing problem at each location. Foamy beer resulting in wasted profits.
    Each location dispenses via a 3 keg draft box cleaned and maintained monthly by a draft tech supplied by our beer vender. An Inventory company (Bevinco-- I highly recommend them to anyone listening.) recently was brought on for curiosity purposes as much as anything, and the results we've experienced have been outstanding. Liquor cost is down, bottled beer cost is down, but draft loss is a high hurdle that we have had difficulty overcoming. This is a result of foamy beer being poured down the drains,and I believe the problems stem from both pouring technique and system calibration/setup. Our system setup at each location is as follows, and any help or insight you can provide would be appreciated:
    -- One (1) 3-keg under bar draft box at each location (1 location has 2 units) is fed with a single CO2 tank (10-12 psi line pressure) situated outside and along side the box. In use kegs are obviously upright in this setup,and in stock kegs are stored in a walk-in cooler both on their sides and upright. Brands being sold include Coors Light, Miller Lite, Blue Moon, Killians, New Castle, Bass Ale, Sam Adams, and Guinness (fed w/seperate N2 gas mix tank). Liquid temp is unknown, but boxes are operational and well maintained. Draft lines are cleaned monthly (by the fore mentioned vendor that I have never been impressed with), but the lines themselves range from 4-10 years old.
    I feel as though I'm being somewhat long-winded, so any other info you may need can be made available. I am eternally greatful for any help you can provide.

Liquid temp is a must before any kind of diagnosis can begin. Temp of beer in box and beer in storage, is important. If it is above 40, it will be foamy. Tapman

Comment

Also does each product have its own regulator? The profits lost would pay for that in a hurry.
      Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
      Serving Mid-Michigan and beyond

Comment

If you have the same problem in three different locations with three different pieces of equipment all cleaned and setup by a distributor draft tech who you don't have confidence in, I say go and hire your own draft tech and have the problem fixed!

Comment

My guess would be along tapmans idea. Warm beer (above 38 degrees) and/or towers that are uncooled. Others ideas are problem couplers or other equipment. Is this happening with all beers?
          Ed
          Blue Line Draft Systems
          www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

The temperature of the beer (in keg) in this set up (direct draw) trumps everything. You must determine this and hopefully adjust each location to 38F. This temperature is by far the most stable for the CO2 in the product as well as for optimal flavor for resale.

The back up location for your keg storage must also be capable of maintaining 38F. If you couple a keg 42F keg in a system set up for 38F, place a cup on top of the faucet tap marker and call it quits until the beer acclimates. Beer has gas! Hopefully we remember from science class what takes place with gas when it is heated or cooled.

At 38F, and if your beer is around the 2.5 volume carbonation level, adjust your pressure to 14 PSIG. (2.2 vol. - 12 PSIG, 2.8 vol. - 16 PSIG) Then have six feet of 3/16" line installed between the coupler and the faucet shank. Five feet for the 2.2 beer and seven feet for the 2.8 beer. If the flow coming out of he faucet is to slow, do not dare touch the regulator! Cut six inches off of the 3/16" line and reattach. Keep trimming this line until you acquire the flow rate desired.

You must assure constant temperature 24/7 from the keg to the faucet. Be certain that the tower is refrigerated and the bartenders must be coached to understand that the top of the keg is not a SHELF!

The bartenders must know how to dispense draft beer. I know, you have been doing it for 20 years and nobody can tell you any different. So be it. I have been watching bartenders for 30 years and I know they don't know how!

Realize that the faucet has two positions only -opened or closed. If the tap marker is grabbed at the top and opened, the chances for the faucet to be in between these two positions causing foam is much greater. Hold the marker as close to the faucet as possible and open swiftly but without such force as to shake the entire tower. So that you can visually inspect the initial beer flow as it comes out of the faucet, never touch the glass to the faucet. Not to mention the bugs that can be transferred if you are refilling a patrons glass. Yech!

If this initial beer flow is foamy or streaky, stop dispensing into the glass. Pour this down the drip tray and start over with clear beer flow. Bartenders must realize that it is physically impossible to pour clear beer on top of foam in the glass. The beer will continue to boil and this of course is very wasteful. It also results in flat beer served to the customer. If this initial pour is always foamy, check temp. /pressure. If the faucet is not removed each cleaning cycle and maintained, it may not operate correctly. Change gaskets frequently and adjust properly.

Last, demand that your beer vendor services and tunes your system properly. Call the GM! Tell him that not only do you want to make money on their brands but that you want to be certain that the product you serve to your customers is supporting the brands' equity that this vendor works so hard every day to build and maintain.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

grab a flashlight

shine in beer line directly above keg (a line you havent used in an hour or so)

see the bubbles?
              those are foam-streaks in practice (if the line is black, or too dirty to see into, you need to replace those lines)

same bubble is sitting behind the faucet in the draft tower

every time you draw a beer you get shot of foam, a bit of clear, then shot of foam, then all-clear. go ahead: open the faucet and watch the beer fall into the drain. It will only take you about 20 seconds to do this, that is less than a pitcher; you can afford it. bubble pockets in action. Watch and learn

let me guess: if you use it often it isn't as bad

your pressure is too low for some beers. temperature probably varies from cold as hell to as high as low-40s.

First: do what everyone else has said and use a thermometer to insure you have cold beer (or more fun: use your palate)

want to eliminate it completely? not afraid to spend a buck? those inventory control guys are a draft guy's best friend. Quit the nickel/dime #$%* and just get it operating right (jeez micromatic, you cant type the word w o r k without editing)

add 3.5 ft of 3/16 hose to each beer line (4.5 ft if you have small or frozen glasses). set up a blender and run everything at 18-20psi. the ideal blend would be closer to 70-75% (which could be ordered) but the stock 60% units will do it if you sell through all kegs quickly. I bet if you called scott he'd set you up with everything you need (800.435.6950, no i dont **** for micro-matic, they loathe me on here). You'll spend <$700 at micromatic, $200 on cylinder deposits, plus about $1.50 per keg on nitrogen gas (make sure there arent any leaks). this is per-bar.

Get a tech with pride in his **** to install it, hoses that long in a keg box can be a mess if you hire the wrong guy.
              Last edited by Jeff Stanley; 05-10-2007, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X