Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a professional system at home...need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a professional system at home...need some advice.

I have a model MMPP4301 unit in my garage with a six tap tower and at the moment a very short run from the coolers to the tap of only about 20 feet. Yes, I know...a commercial system at home is crazy overkill but I got too good a deal on the equipment to pass it up. Plus, I have the coolest "kegerator" on the block.

I have a few questions. The system has been working flawlessly for over a year now, and I would like to keep it that way.

On the sight glass that's on the side of the reservoir, it has a mark about 8 or 9 inches up and then about an inch and a half above the mark. What is the correct level of glycol? I am keeping it about halfway up the little top part.

Do I have to keep the little filler hole covered? I keep a bit of aluminum duct tape on it just so nothing can crawl in. Is this OK or does it need to remain open for any reason?

Not being a commercial bar, I do have plenty of downtime and when I don't have a keg in the cooler I shut the whole thing down, sometimes for a few weeks. Is there anything I need to do?

Before I put it back into service it sat around for a year without running, but after I cleaned it up, it ran like a new machine. Even considering that, I want to avoid costly errors, so if there's anything I can do to avoid stressing the machine after a long shut off, I will.

Considering again that it's not running 24/7 365, should I still flush and replace the glycol every 18 months?

Thanks! I'm enjoying all the great information on here!

Everything sounds good, that little mark on the Glycol sight glass is the proper fill level a little over is better than under.
    The filler hole should have a plug in it, the aluminum tape is fine
    Nothing needs to be done when you shut down or fire up, just make sure that you flush the old beer out of the lines it will be nasty after sitting for weeks.
    How often do you clean ?
    Colin Harrison
    Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

I would recommend the following:
      Get a refractometer to check the glycol. Want the concentration to be around 33% or 15 degree freeze point. This is the only way to properly tell when to change the glycol.
      Use only food grade propylene glycol. MicroMatic item #60703 is the brand that goes with your brand power pack. Expensive but worth it.
      NEVER, REPEAT NEVER, use RV antifreeze.
      Keep the compressor coils clean. Proper air flow is essential for compressor health.
      Clean the lines and blow water out with CO2 before you shut down the system.
      Clean your lines every 2 to 4 weeks and before you restart system.
      Clean faucet and keg coupler every 2 weeks to prevent mold. These are the only 2 points that air makes contact with the beer. Mold builds very quickly.

Do these things and you should enjoy your system for many years to come.
      We have installed "professional" systems in many "man caves" over the last 5 years. Believe folks are beginning to see the value in quality. Never understood spending a lot of money on the appearance of the man cave, then skimp on the one and only thing that makes the difference, THE BEER SYSTEM!

How about posting some pictures. I love seeing what other people are doing in the man cave design.

Cheers!

Comment

They have been a long time coming, but I will post some pics very soon!

Comment

I'm having some problems posting the pics but I'll keep trying.

Comment

Working...
          X