Gas leak procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leak procedure

What are the correct steps to find a gas leak. I've had a brain fart and can't remember. I thought it is something like turn all the secondary's off to see if it'b between the tank and secondary's or if it's between the secondary's and kegs. After that I forget the correct procedure? How do you pin point which secondary line/coupler it is?

thanks

I like to turn off all noise in the cooler to see if I can hear the leak first. If you cannot I like to use a soap and water mixture in a spray bottle. I then spray each coupler (while they are still engaged) and look for one to start bubbling. It will usually be a coupler seal or the gas inlet line is loose or the seal is bad on the coupler. Remember to clean all the couplers after spraying with soap.

Comment

j_shea12,
      99.9% of the time when when no one responds, it is because the answer resides in the resource section:
      "Always visually inspect every beer connection throughout the entire dispense system. Be certain that you have washers and they are intact above and below the coupler. Check for damaged or missing seals at the faucet and assure that all beer line clamps are secure. Evaluate the beer line for punctures.

Unlike beer leaks which can be visually detected, pressure leaks are not that obvious. These leaks will drive you to the funny farm since it will be difficult to accurately adjust your regulator. To determine if the pressure system is intact, simply turn off the cylinder valve while all other valves from the regulator are open and the keg coupler is on. Do not dispense beer. Watch the regulator's high pressure gauge. If the pointer does not move, you are in great shape. When it drops, you have a leak.

Turn the cylinder back on to begin isolating a leak. With the pressure adjustment backed out all the way, turn the cylinder off. If the pointer drops, your leak is somewhere in the high pressure side of the regulator. Possibly the seat capsule assembly or the connection to the cylinder itself.

If the pointer holds position, turn cylinder back on and adjust the regulator to your desired setting but keep the regulator shut-off valve in off position. Again, turn the cylinder valve wheel off. If the pointer drops, possibly the diaphragm is damaged or the bonnet is loose. If the pointer does not move, the leak is further downstream.

Repeat procedure with regulator shut-off valve on and keg uncoupled. Eventually you will isolate where the leak resides. A common culprit is the coupler's pressure connection. Do not rule out the keg itself. Although rare, keg valves have been known to leak. Inspect pressure line. Use a soapy water solution at a suspect area. The soap bubbles will pinpoint the leak."

I tried to post link to page but no joy, so I just cut and pasted the procedure, as post says damage is the main problem, all you have to do is check for damage and you should be good, if you think you have a leak, listening for it really isn't feasible most slow leaks can't be heard (some have used stethoscopes and still couldn't hear it).
      BTW did you every solve your EPA problem? If so can you update your original post, thanks.
      KB
      Last edited by KillianBoy; 11-28-2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X