Keep blowing thru gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep blowing thru gas

I have a Micromatic dual regulator, hooked up to cornies.....

I keep going thru a 5# bottle of gas in about 3 months time.....

Not sure if its the corny kegs or the reg thats leaking.....Whatever it is its small....

Any suggestions on how to test eaither one....

I've sprayed the reg down with soap water, but don't see any bubling.....Nor on the corny kegs....

Not sure where to procede...

Thx

How many kegs is that? It's not the time but the volume you are using. I got 13 kegs out of my first 5lb bottle (9 1/6ths and 4 1/4's)
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Maybe 2 conrys...not much at all...

I do purge some carboys with co2 before racking wine/beer ect.....But not many

Comment

Use the leak test to check for/isolate a leak: Micro Matic Keg Beer Blog

Depending on the size of the leak you may see instant results on the pressure gauge - or it may require several hours to show itself. It sounds like you have a fairly tiny leak - so be sure to provide ample time for results to show.

Comment

I have done all these tests and they all passed....
          Is 12 hours enough time to detect a small leak

Comment

when conducting your leak test by spraying soapy water, crank the pressure up to 25 or 30. Sounds like you have a very slow leak. Increased pressure will help force the co2 out of the leak so that you can detect it easier. If you're losing a tank of co2 over a few months, I don't think 12 hours will be enough to notice much of a difference when using the regulator checking method.

Do you use keg lube or do you know when the last time the seals on your corneys were replaced? If those seals start to dry out, they can easily leak very slowly.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Turn tank valve on. Then turn off the switch on the bottom of the regulator. Now turn the main tank valve back off. If the high pressure gauge drops after 30 seconds or so you know the leak is in the regulator. If not it is in the keg coupler. Be sure to check around where the one way CO2 valve is. Many times someone will install the wrong valve or washer. Dont be afraid to spray on top of the keg after you have hooked up the coupler. It could be the body washer or probe washer

Comment

I did all the tests in thread #4. I had a dual reg. so I separated them and tested independently. All the tests sat ran for about 12 hours with no leaks. I'm guessing it is a keg leaking. I Only dispense home brew now, so I use home brew ball lock kegs. I did replace the lid valve, as the LHBS owner said the older original ones were problematic. Hope this works.....

KEG LID VALVE @ Williams Brewing

I also spayed everything down with a water/soap spay and couldn't see any leaks

Comment

Even if the keg was leaking - the results would still show when testing the regulators. When you turn off the Co2 tank, but leave all the other valves open, the pointer would eventually drop as Co2 would be leaking out of the keg.

As Cubby said, 12 hours might not be enough. My advice would be to buy some bottles or cans to drink off of for a week or so - let your unit sit a couple days or so between each variation of the test.

Comment

Working...
                  X