Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seals

I'm a bit confused when it comes to where seals are needed on the CO2 (pressure) side of the kegerator. Can you tell me if I am correct with the way I have it>

1. No seal between Regulator and co2 bottle.
    2. I have a quick disconnect between the regulator and the tap (Tap being the part that actually opens the keg.) Also, not sure if I should even have a quick disconnect or not.
    3. where the pressure line connects to the tap, inside the connector, it looks like a rubber washer or o-ring inside and on the tap itself, there is a Teflon washer. (The Teflon washer actually slides inside the tap with the outside of it acting as a washer)

Does this seem to be correct? Is there a diagram that shows how this is supposed to be set up?

I seem to be using a lot of co2. I have a bar room size bottle, and the last one only lasted through a 1/4 Keg. I did replace one of the seals and now it seems to have slowed down, but, I don't know, I still seem to be using a lot of co2.

Thanks for this great site and for any help you nice folks may provide.

You do need a seal between the regulator and Co2 tank. My regulator has a built in O-ring, so I don't need another washer, but if the O-ring wasn't there, or were to deteriorate over time, I would replace it with a regular washer.
    Don't know about the quick disconnect - I just run the line straight into the coupler, but I do have a washer in that connection - in the form of a duckbill shaped check valve, that also doubles as a washer.
    Not really sure I am following your 3rd question - when you say "inside the connector" are you referring to your quick disconnect?

I also don't know what a bar room size bottle means. My tank is a 5# tank, will usually do around 8 half barrels before it needs a refill. Depending on what size your tank is, you probably have a leak. Perform a leak test to narrow down your issue

Comment

There needs to be a seal where the regulator connects to the tank. It might be an O-ring on a brass disk, or more commonly it is a nylon washer.

I used to use a compressed air quick disconnect after the regulator. Sometimes if you jiggle those things they start leaking. Jiggle them again and they stop. Just this past weekend I took it off and connected the hose via a barb to pipe thread coupler directly to the regulator. I never found a reason in over ten years to disconnect the thing anyway.

If all is good you should be able to turn the CO2 tank off and watch the high pressure gauge not move much. Assuming the stuff in the kegs has reached CO2 equilibrium it should still show some high pressure for many hours - overnight even, if you did a good job everywhere. If the beer is still absorbing CO2 you may have to disconnect the keg coupler to run this test.

Comment

Working...
      X