Bursting Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bursting Hoses

I installed a secondary regulator panel to an existing set up and after a week or two the gas line exploded. I tracked it back to the shared bulk co2 tank pushing 125 psi and no step down regulator before entering the beer cooler. I recommended installing a step down regulator and replaced the line with braided vinyl which is rated at 225 psi (before I had just used standard vinyl gas line). It's been about 4 weeks now and I received a call that the line was swelling a bit. I looked at pictures and it is in fact swelling but not too crazy. Is this normal for high pressure hoses to swell like that? What other options do I have? Should I use polyethelyne tubing instead? They opted out of the step down regulator so I have to manage the 125 coming in somewhere. Thanks for the input.
    Ed
    Blue Line Draft Systems
    www.bluelinedraft.com

I would have put in the primary regulator to break down the pressure for safety reasons. I had a company that did this to me at one of my accounts and the owner wanted me to pay for the loss of co2, I called them and told them that beer systems needed a lower out put presser than what they were using and they installed a primary regulator to take care of it.
    L. Tapper

Comment

I've tried to illustrate the safety issues with having so much pressure in there to no avail. I will try again when I come back to clean next week. Is it normal for the braided to swell like that if the pressure being fed through it is only half of the max psi for the hose? Should I switch to barrier or polyethylene tubing of some sort? Whats the psi rating for such tubing? This is what they have as gas lines for the original build. I've never used it so would love some feedback.
      Ed
      Blue Line Draft Systems
      www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

No, do not use any barrier, poly, or vinyl lines on the high pressure CO2 line. Braided vinyl hose is the only thing you should use. I have never seen this braided line swell in 13 years. Is there a heat source near the line where it is swelling? Is this inside the cooler? The pressure should be knocked down to around 40 psi before it enters the cooler. How about tapping into one of the CO2 lines on the bag in a box system. Maybe one of the lines feeding the pumps?

Comment

If you have no primary regulator and only 125 psi, you have a cold CO2 cylinder.... a very cold one.

Look Here : http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tech...sses/co2pv.gif

There almost HAS to be a primary regulator to get down to 125 PSI.

Assuming there is one, why is it set to 125 PSI, when 40 would work well?

Comment

Ed, you may want to contact who installed the bulk tank and find out which vinyl they use. In my experience I have seen what appears to be something similar to black hydraulic line and only in 1/4" ID. I have seen the 3/8" braid swell up over time with that pressure. The only alternative is the braided poly line that Coke or Pepsi uses for their carbonator lines as they are set for 85-90 psi. I have seen it available in both 1/4" and 3/8 ID. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X