Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Nitrogen to run kegs of Guinness and Yuengling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use Nitrogen to run kegs of Guinness and Yuengling?

I am converting a full size fridge into a 2 tap kegerator. Id like to have Guinness and a lighter beer like Yuengling or Blue on tap.

I know Guinness needs a special set up with Nitrogen gas. My question is can I run a Nitrogen gas set up with a Y adaptor off the regulator and use the same gas for both kegs?

Thanks in advance.

Guinness is lighter than Yuengling in everything but the color. If you want something lighter than Guinness, you'll have to go with something like Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc.

You'll need straight co2 to run Yuengling. The Guinness runs at something like 30 or 35psi on the Nitro set up. If you did that with the Yuengling, it would shoot out like a firehose, not to mention the carbonation level of the beer would be shot to hell by the end of the keg.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

You will need two seperate regulators and gas supplies. One for nitro and one for CO2.

You will also need a stout faucet for your Guinness...
      On tap:
      1/2 bbl of Lienenkugel's Original

Gone, but not forgotten: (Sadly, Walter Payton's is gone)
      Sixtel of Sam Adams OctoberFest
      Sixtel of Walter Payton's Peat Smoked Scotch Ale
      Corny of Payton's Dancing Bear Honey Wheat
      Corny of Walter Payton's Aurora Amber Ale (both a malty and extra hoppy version)
      Corny (3 gal) of Coconut Rum and Cola
      Corny of Walter Payton's Beauregard's Blueberry Ale
      Corny of Walter Payton's Sweetness Stout on Nitro
      Corny of Rock Bottom's Belgian White Ale

Comment

When the term nitro is being utilized, I assume you are referring to a gas blend of 25% CO2 / 75% nitrogen. Do not use 100% nitrogen to dispense Guinness.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Yes i was refering to blended gas sorry. What would happen if you used 100% nitrogen on a keg of Guinness?

What about the temp? Could I keep them in the same refrigeration unit? Doesnt Guinness have to be kept at a higher temp than Yuengling?

Comment

I have a chest freezer I converted into a kegerator using a replacement thermostat. The kegerator only gets to 35-37 degrees on its warmest setting. Is that going to be high enough to dispense Guinness?

Comment

You can serve Guinness at whatever temperature you desire. It doesn't have to be warmer to dispense it. Some people may enjoy drinking it at a warmer temperature, but you can serve it at 30F or 60F if you wish. So if YOU want it warmer than the Yuegling, you'll need separate refrigeration for it.

The beer does have some carbonation in it. On straight nitrogen - once the nitrogen 'head' dissipates, the beer would be 100 percent flat.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
              X