Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the length of the co2 line matter? I shortened them and now Im getting 100% foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the length of the co2 line matter? I shortened them and now Im getting 100% foam

Just as the subject says. I shortened the co2 line from 5ft to about 2.5ft. Since I did that Ive been getting all foam. I have to pour the beer into a pitcher and let it sit before I can have a drink.

The system was running perfectly before I cut the lines. I thought I read on here that the gas line length didnt matter and I still dont see how it could.

Its been a week since I cut the line so I know its not because the keg was moved around too much. Its definitely had time to settle.

What could it be?

The co2 line length doesn't matter. Whatever variable that had change when you shortened the gas line is coincidental. I'm guessing it is something related to the coupler. You most likely uncoupled when you did this and you don't have the coupler fully engaged, the skirt washer is damaged (not likely) or the line is kinked or some other such thing.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

The length of the co2 line does not matter. No matter what the length of the line is, the pressure inside the line will be whatever the regulator is set at. Did you accidentally change the setting on the regulator?

Comment

When I reconnected everything after cutting the air line the pressure gauge read almost 20 psi.

So I backed the reg screw all the way out, turned off the air at the tank and drained the air from the keg using the release valve on the coupler.

Once the pressure dropped to about 10 psi I turned the air back on and adjusted the reg to put out about 13 psi. (Im running Yuengling)

Since then Im getting all foam...

Comment

Did you check the coupler?
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

How long was the keg at too high a pressure? 20 psi for too long and the keg could be permanently overcarbbed/ all foam. If you try to flatten it, then recarbonate, it will likely taste wierd.

Comment

I agree. If you had the beer at 20psi for any length of time, you overcarbed your beer. Now that you've backed the pressure down to nearly half what you had it at, you're allowing that carbonation to break out of solution in the lines before it gets to your beer.

Your options are to increase the pressure back up, or cut off the co2 completely, de-gas via the release pin on the coupler, shake the keg and repeat, to see if you can get your beer down to a compatible carbonation level.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
              X