CO2 installation recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 installation recommendations

I just bought a small fridge where I'm still assembling the parts to make it a functional kegerator, and looking for advice concerning CO2 installation:

1) The volume of the fridge is plenty tall, but the footprint is about 18" x 19" on the inside, so barely enough to get a 1/2 barrel in there. Some quick math tells me that the CO2 canister (a 5lb can, with 5.5" diameter) won't fit upright alongside a keg on the inside. I've seen some "pseudo-professional" setups with simlar fridges where people place the CO2 can on its side on a shelf above the keg, and this seems inherently unsafe. My other alternative is to mount the CO2 can to the outside of the fridge using a fire extinguisher bracket that will keep it locked in and upright. Then I'd drill through the side of the fridge and run the gas line to the coupler. Advantage? CO2 upright and secure. Disadvantage? Canister is subject to temperature fluctuations outside of the fridge.

2) I ordered a converter kit which has 'snap' clamps. Is it better to replace these with adjustable metal clamps?

Thanks for any feedback you guys might have.

Temperature fluctuations with your CO2 cylinder is a mute point. No need to worry unless this temperature is going to be extreme. If so, then there will be other issues with the refrigeration itself.

Having the cylinder outside the kegerator is allows an advantage as you can easily monitor your PSIG to the keg and the high pressure gauge. The snap clamps are a great way to secure your cylinder.

And yes, never dispense CO2 while the cylinder is horizontal.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Working...
    X