Distance from CO2 to Keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance from CO2 to Keg

Does the distance between the CO2 tank and the Keg make much of a difference?

I'm thinking about moving my CO2 tank and regulator to a location about 40 feet away from the rest of the system. The draft tower is just above the kegerator and cooler--there is just a few inches of space in between.

Could I expect to waste CO2 over that long of a distance? What I would like to figure out is if keeping it that far away will result in using CO2 10% faster or more. Anything less than that I think I can handle.

Also; I found a 50' roll of 3/8" high pressure water hose (3,000 psi) for only $80, and am considering only moving the CO2 tank, leaving the regulator at the rest of the system and using the high pressure water hose between the tank and the high pressure port on the regulator. What do people think about using the water hose, or about running the high pressure that far?

EDIT: Also, if I move it there will be a rise in the line of about 8 feet from the top of the CO2 tank to the top of the keg.

This is a residential system. I didn't see that separation before posting--I wouldn't mind if it gets moved to the residential forum. (Seems like that forum is posted on more frequently anyway. )
    Last edited by deuce; 07-15-2009, 06:44 AM.

I wouldn't run that long of a pressurized line (the 3000 psi water line). Any faults in the line, ever, and you're going to have a major problem, potentially resulting in injury (or worse).

Otherwise, there's no reason you can't run the co2 from 40 feet away. The only co2 you'd 'lose' would be the additional volume of the co2 line, when you initially hook it up. You won't be using co2 any more or less, otherwise.

Also, I would bridge that gap between the cooler unit and the tower, with some 3" PVC, and insulate it.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I ABSOLUTELY agree with cubby, you shouldn't use a long line like that to contain cylinder pressures, very dangerous. I am NOT a fan of the "Remote Regulators" that have high pressure hoses attached - a solid, positive, BRASS connection to the cylinder should be had at all times - primary regulator mounted to the tank is the way to go.

Is there a reason that you want high pressure all the way to where the kegs are?

You don't need 3000 PSI rated line to locate your CO2 40 feet from your keg or point of dispense as long as you send regulated pressures. If you need to adjust the pressure right at the keg(s) you could add secondary regulator(s) at the kegs and feed them 20 or so PSIG from the regulator at the cylinder.

Any standard vinyl CO2 distribution line would be fine. Micromatic sells 50' rolls of the 5/16" Red Gas line for $33.25 retail here:

50 feet Red 5/16" CO2 line

And a secondary economy regulator for $48.95 here:
      Economy Seconday Regulator

There's your 80 bucks right there, give or take a buck or two, but you get what you need AND you have the peace of mind and safety that comes with havingh a solid regulator on your cylinder, as well as the fact that you get a secondary control at the keg for the same price as just the high pressure line...

Although I will ALWAYS recommend you shell out the additional $7 and go with the "Premium" secondary (the adjustment knob is SO easy to use by hand), and the build quality is much higher than the economy.

Premium Secondary Regulator - Heck yes!

As long as you are only running beer distribution pressures, you can use hundreds of feet of this line and be just fine wherever you decide to locate your CO2 cylinder and with a compressed gas, height is not an issue at all.
      Last edited by BrewGuru; 07-15-2009, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks--that's exactly what I did. It came as a revelation yesterday after hours trying to deal with MicroMatic's crazy left hand threads on the high pressure side of the premium regulator (currently have). I could get a high pressure line with NPT for a good price, but left hand threads are not standard, and it would be impossible to convert. Getting high pressure hose with CGA-320 proved to be impossible. I didn't have any reason to run it at high pressure, it's just that the thought of using one regulator and running high pressure came before the more logical thought.

Anyway, I ordered a premium secondary regulator yesterday, and plan to do just that--give it 20 PSI from the tank and adjust it at the keg. I do agree--the big knobs are great.

Comment

Good call on the primary regulator at 20psi and secondary regulator for beer pressure. I had not thought of that one.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

You could adjust the primary even higher, say 35 or so. This may allow the secondaries to perform better since there would be a higher back pressure against the seat assembly before entering the gas enters the low pressure side.

The vinyl pressure line is rated for application up to 50 PSI.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Working...
            X