Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much C02 is needed for a 1/4 barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much C02 is needed for a 1/4 barrel?

My CO2 canister stays inside my fridge and I have run through one 1/4 barrel of beer on my 5lb canister. I am picking up another 1/4 barrel this weekend for an election night party and am wondering if I have enough CO2.

How many kegs can I expect to run through before I need to refill? I definitely dont want to run out in the middle of a party.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else. I did a search and couldn't find my answer.

Thanks!
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
    -Frank Zappa

A 5lb tank of CO2 will last 6-7 1/2 kegs. As long as there are no leaks, you're not going to run out for a while.

Comment

Thanks hophead. Is there a gauge attachment available that will tell me how much gas is left in the tank or some other way to monitor this?

Thanks!
      "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
      -Frank Zappa

Comment

The only gauge I know of is the "tank pressure" gauge that monitors CO2 tank pressure. In my system, I have both a tank pressure gauge and a line pressure gauge. I can easily tell when I'm getting low on CO2.

Keep in mind that the only time CO2 actually flows from the bottle is when you dispense beer. Otherwise, it's just sitting there (unless you have the line pressure very high in which case you'd be adding carbonation to the beer - normally a bad thing).

Comment

Originally posted by jpetty View Post
          Thanks hophead. Is there a gauge attachment available that will tell me how much gas is left in the tank or some other way to monitor this?

Thanks!
          You would need a dual guage regulator. But even this won't tell you 'how much' gas you have left. The reading on it stays at 100% until you are nearing the bottom of the tank. Then it gradually runs down, depending on how much you pour, you could expect at least a few days worth until you could refill. Just keep track of how many kegs you've gone through. I got 8.5 full kegs (1/2 barrels) out of my 5lb co2 tank. I think you could expect 15 or more 1/4 barrels out of your 5lb tank, but without the high pressure tank guage, I'd probably refill after 14.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Thanks guys. I do have the MM dual gauge regulator but was hoping for something else that can be attached to show my how much gas is left. I'll keep track of my kegs.
            -Frank Zappa

Comment

CO2 Tank pressure

The Carbon Dioxide in your cylinder is in the liquid phase. The liquid boils to maintain a "vapor pressure" of ~800 psig @ 70ºF. As long as there is any liquid in the cylinder the pressure will remain at the vapor pressure. The vapor pressure may fluctuate due to temperature changes. When there is no liquid left in the cylinder the pressure will drop rapidly as there will only be 0.1 cubic feet of CO2 left in a 5# cylinder. CO2 cylinders are filled by weight, the best way to know what is left is to weigh the cylinder. All CO2 cylinders have a tare weight stamped on them. If you keep your cylinder in the refrigerator the vapor pressure may be closer to 600 psi. Pressure drops as the temperature drops.

Beergas (25% CO2/75% Nitrogen) is a different story. It is filled by pressure. A full cylinder of beergas will have a pressure of 2215 psig @ 70ºF, the pressure will drop gradually as it is used.
              Last edited by jdhanson; 08-14-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X