Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen tank pressure question

Hey everyone. Fantastic site!

I won a kegerator set-up from Guinness a few months back (please don't hate me They provided all the equipment and flew a guy down to set it up, so I was a little fuzzy on the install.

Anyway, I've finished off my first keg and about to replace it. But my 10# tank reads 750 PSI. I don't recall what it was when I got it, but it seems to have been around that level for at least the last 1/3 of the keg (when I started paying attention to it). Is this a "normal" level? I can't find any info on what a 25/75 tank should read. I hear CO2 tanks stay at a set PSI and only fall when almost empty, is this true of 25/75 mixes as well? How low can you go? There is a red zone starting at 500 PSI. Is this a warning to get refilled, or a "DON'T GO BELOW" level? The tank is inside the fridge with the keg, so it is staying around 38 degrees.

I know a 10# should last for several kegs, but when Patrick was installing it he mentioned that a washer was missing between the tank and the double gauge regulator. He said this might cause a slow leak and to turn off the tank after each use. I've done this pretty faithfully (unless too much Guinness was drunk

I weighed my tank at 18 pounds right now (with regulator attached). Not sure how sensitive my bathroom scale is at that low of a weight however.

Seems to me that I should have plenty more gas, but finding a place to refill beer mix is tough around here (Savannah, Georgia) unless I want to go to a 20# tank that is probably too large to fit in the fridge with the keg. Any suggestions on places to get refilled are welcome. I have ports of call in Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Charlotte so it ought to be a simple thing.

So before I drop another $150 on a Guiness keg, I want to be sure I'll have enough gas. Any thoughts?

Be certain that this is a gas blend in the tank. Check for any labeling on the tank. If so, it is normal for the high side gauge pointer to drop slowly as you use gas. As it drops into the red area, simply keep a close eye on your level. You should be fine until the gas pressure in the tank is completety gone and the pointer is virtually at zero.

Did the installer evaluate the regulator inlet and determine if there was a built in seal?
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Nitrous ratio

For the nitrous mixture. Is it NO2, or a mixture of NO2 and CO2 for Murphy's

Comment

Nitrogen mix

I have found my own answer 75% Nitrogen and 25% CO2. Now I am trying to find a place to fill it.

Comment

This gas blend is fairly common and known as "G Gas" "Guinness Gas" "Beer Gas". You should be able to get it from any local supplier of CO2. Here is Richmond, VA we have several: ARCET, Roberts Oxygen, Richmond CO2

Comment

Working...
          X