Smithwicks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smithwicks?

I just returned from Ireland where I enjoyed a great deal of Smithwicks and have been thinking about getting it for my next keg. I have read a few people here allude to Smithwicks requiring mixed gas. I am wondering whether I can run this with straight CO2 and if anyone knows the approximate level? Thanks.

Smithwicks should run fine on your system if you have no problems running other beers. You will need a '' U '' coupler ( the same as Guinness ), but straight CO2 will work. Tapman

Comment

I already have a U coupler as I run Harp fairly often and my system has run perfectly for any of the beers I have put through. I assume usual levels of pressure?

Comment

Usual pressures will work for Smithwicks.
        Ed
        Blue Line Draft Systems
        www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Thank you all for the help.

Comment

smithwicks??

So I have a guinness, guiness gas and U tap, set up and a regular, sankay and Co2 double tap. I had beer emergency and had to get smithwicks instead of the micorbrew I had ordered. So I hooked smithwicks up in place of my guiness tap, but it is REALLY foamy. I had looked up online a while back and supposedly you could do use guiness gas. Is ther a setting or something that I can do. I was thinking it was becuase I hooked it up right before the party and maybe it was shook up. Next day though it still seems too foamy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Comment

Smithwick will not dispense from a stout faucet if this is what you are attempting. At 38F beer in keg, 100% CO2 around 13 PSIG dispensed from a conventional faucet should do. Does not require blend.
              Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Why can't he just remove the restrictor disk from the stout faucet and use it that way?
                It will then just look like a stout faucet but pour like a regular faucet?

Comment

Both the restrictor plate and flow straightener would require removal. Since the spout diameter is smaller than a conventional faucet, flow speed may be quicker than desired. May not be an issue.

Comment

Smithwicks on mixed gas

Soo... Can Smithwicks be ran on the same blended gas as Guinness?
                    Also, if I am needing to buy both mixed gas and straight CO2 (assuming you say no to my first question)... I have two nitrogen regulators... can I get CO2 in a tank that will fit the threads on my nitrogen regulator??

Originally posted by robalf View Post
                    So I have a guinness, guiness gas and U tap, set up and a regular, sankay and Co2 double tap. I had beer emergency and had to get smithwicks instead of the micorbrew I had ordered. So I hooked smithwicks up in place of my guiness tap, but it is REALLY foamy. I had looked up online a while back and supposedly you could do use guiness gas. Is ther a setting or something that I can do. I was thinking it was becuase I hooked it up right before the party and maybe it was shook up. Next day though it still seems too foamy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Comment

Smithwicks is an ale with a carbonation level of 2.4 volumes. Requires CO2 @ 12 PSIG @ 38F. Adjust one PSIG for every two degree change in temperature. Up for warmer, down for colder.

Ask gas vendor if the will fill nitrogen cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by edramshaw View Post
                        Usual pressures will work for Smithwicks.

You will need a '' U '' coupler ( the same as Guinness ), but straight CO2 will work. Tapman

Comment

I'm sure he is good with that now, it was 4.5 years ago.
                          What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Just a spammer.

Comment

lol damn spammers, is there any reason to run Smithwick's on Mixed Gas? We sell it here and it has always been on mixed but I would love to get some other beers that require Nitro and only have 2 lines with mixed gas and one is Guinness so I can't take that off

Comment

Working...
                              X