What fitting do I need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fitting do I need?

I'm trying to set up my kegerator for Nitrogen. I have a tank that I think is nitrogen that was previously used for pushing cold brew coffee. If somebody can confirm that the sticker pictured ("SMALL_IMG_20180326_134950.jpg") means nitrogen I would appreciate it though!

I want to put a valve on the output of the regulator. But it appears to be a strange fitting that I'm not familiar with. In the picture "SMALL_IMG_20180326_134554.jpg" the top device is Micromatic part # 1600AB with a 1/4" Right Hand NPT. The device on the bottom was attached to my regulator before I removed it. So I guess I would like to find an adapter that would make my valve look like that strange fitting in the bottom picture.

Any help is appreciated!
    Attached Files

The threading of the regulator into the tank will tell you if it is nitrogen. A nitrogen cylinder has a female (internal) thread and the matching regulator has a male thread. CO2 is the opposite. That looks like a nitrogen tank. For the regulator you need a nitrogen shut off valve, Micromatic sells them with their nitrogen regulators, I don't see them as a separate item. If you are running only 1 line, the shut off has pretty limited value, you can just turn off the cylinder.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
      The threading of the regulator into the tank will tell you if it is nitrogen. A nitrogen cylinder has a female (internal) thread and the matching regulator has a male thread. CO2 is the opposite. That looks like a nitrogen tank. For the regulator you need a nitrogen shut off valve, Micromatic sells them with their nitrogen regulators, I don't see them as a separate item. If you are running only 1 line, the shut off has pretty limited value, you can just turn off the cylinder.
      Hi - so my concern was if what I have is 100% Nitrogen or if its beer gas. I agree that it's definitely a nitrogen tank - but my understanding is that you use nitrogen tanks for both nitrogen and beer gas. Correct me if I'm mistaken though!

So I had wanted a shut off valve to save nitrogen. I agree that you can get away with just closing off the cylinder - but that seems wasteful as you lose everything that's at high pressure. Maybe that's not actually much gas that gets lost though?

Regardless - I think I need to find a new fitting since the one I have (that I took a photo of) is made for 1/4" tubing I think (largest diameter on the barbs is 0.3"). Where can I at least find a new fitting that is designed for 5/16" hose (which is what I am running throughout my system) that will fit this regulator? Any idea what the regulator's fitting style is called?

Comment

You hadn't said anything about beer gas until right now, in your original message your concern was is it a nitrogen tank. Yes, same tank for beer gas. If you look at the nitrogen regulators on Micromatic's web site,

https://www.micromatic.com/primary-n...-series-gn1773

and then select the replacement parts tab, it will show you this is the gas shut off used in their products, and has the proper barbs for 5/16". You'll probably spend more on shipping than the part costs. .

https://www.micromatic.com/gas-shut-...ut-off-751-107
        Last edited by djc; 03-27-2018, 09:04 AM.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
          You hadn't said anything about beer gas until right now, in your original message your concern was is it a nitrogen tank. Yes, same tank for beer gas. If you look at the nitrogen regulators on Micromatic's web site,

https://www.micromatic.com/primary-n...-series-gn1773

and then select the replacement parts tab, it will show you this is the gas shut off used in their products, and has the proper barbs for 5/16". You'll probably spend more on shipping than the part costs. .

https://www.micromatic.com/gas-shut-...ut-off-751-107
          Unfortunately that part won't fit my regulator - it seems some regulators use 1/4" threads - actually I think most do. But mine doesn't (as far as I can tell). Instead, it uses an inert gas fitting. I've seen references to it as a CGA-032 or CGA 5-8"-18. It looks like I can get an adapter - Western Enterprises AW427 - that should get me to normal 1/4" threads.

Comment

Working...
          X