60/40 Mix for Home Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60/40 Mix for Home Bar

I am renting a house with a long-draw system installed by the previous owner. Two taps in the kitchen, trunk line going to the basement. The system has a glycol chiller, and everything functions perfectly fine...except you need 25-28 pounds of total system pressure to push the beer to the taps and not get massive breakout. The length of the run is ~30 feet, including ~20 feet of elevation. To put a correct partial pressure onto each keg, I need a blended gas - I've found 60% CO2 and 40% N2 is perfect for the IPAs I'm always drinking.

Here's my issue - I can't get it to save my life. I live in Fayetteville, NC - I can easily drive to Raleigh/Durhan/Greensboro if I have to, but none of the local welding supply places or gas mixing places can get me a mixed cylinder. I call and call and call, and everyone gives me an answer somewhere between "no" and "maybe" and "drop your cylinder off and maybe it'll get filled in a few months." I just used up my last cylinder from a reliable welding supply place from where I used to live (Charleston, SC).

I could buy a gas blender, but $700 or so is too much to swallow for a house I don't own. Is there a secondary market for this kind of thing? Has anyone had any luck with finding someone with a blender and just paying them $$ to fill up a few 20lb cylinders? I have a great system that I've worked really hard to perfect, I finally got it all figured out, and I can't get gas to save my life. Help!!

If you can't find an AIrGas (use that exact term) store + your closest city/town or after checking their website, you can try same with homebrew stores + city. If none of this pans out, try find a small bar or restaurant that serves Guinness and see where they get their mixed gas, the bigger ones probably use blenders.

Comment

I think your real issue is the blend your looking for. I have found that no gas company will do a mix other than the typical 25/75 or 30/70 (CO2/N). Any other blend requires a blender and 100% CO2 and N. To my understanding, its really hard for the gas people to get the other blends correct without messing with their equipment. I think that your solution is to use the lower CO2 mixed gas and up your pressure. You'll have to add restriction onto your system either with more choker or a flow control faucet, but it should NET you the same result as using the higher CO2 blended gas at a lower pressure.

Comment

Contact ARC3 Gases, E. Mountain Dr, Fayetteville, NC 28302 Phone: 910-483-0169
        ​These guys handle all of my gas needs here in Richmond, VA. I get 60/40 (CO2/N2) cylinders all the time. I spoke with my local rep, Russell Dillard, and he didn't see any problem for you in NC.

Good luck and welcome Home!

Comment

Working...
        X