Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spdbump
    replied
    NUCo2 does the same thing here in the Chico Area.

Leave a comment:

• PremiumVADraftTech
    replied
    Originally posted by zisaacs View Post
    I don't even have the blender on yet because we are not quite open yet and the draft system is just now getting installed. I think the NUCO2 installer guy told me he set the blender at either 30 or 20 psi. Is there a general rule of thumb for a proper psi range for the blender?
    Originally posted by Perfect Pour Services View Post
    NUC02 is notorious here in Portland for overselling every account with mixed gas. Mixed gas should only be used if the pressure needed to carbonate the product is not enough to deliver the product. Using mixed gas in the wrong conditions will cost you more in equipment and gas, under carbonate the product, and a loss in sales. If you are using mixed gas on a direct draw system, you would want to have the pressure high and with more restriction. Just use 100% CO2 and proper tubing. By using mixed gas incorrectly, you change the recipe of the product. Brewers put a certain amount of CO2 in each product to produce that beer's taste profile.

The distance of the bulk tank does not matter. If the gas hose coming into the cooler is set to at least 30-40, this will allow you to set the secondaries inside the cooler to the appropriate levels for each product. If you are running any stouts, the blender is a good idea but still run the lagers and ales off 100% CO2. You'll have to stand firm with that you want but it'll be worth it.

If you have more questions or are uncertain, ask. Describe the setup more and you can get advice here on a correctly built system.

Temp of the cooler
    How long the hosing needs to be from keg to back of shank
    style of product

those are the main items needed to guide you to a proper setup

Also zis, if you're running Guinness, you need to be at 32psi for it, at least, so your main regulator and lbs needs to be higher

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Pour Services
    replied
    NUC02 is notorious here in Portland for overselling every account with mixed gas. Mixed gas should only be used if the pressure needed to carbonate the product is not enough to deliver the product. Using mixed gas in the wrong conditions will cost you more in equipment and gas, under carbonate the product, and a loss in sales. If you are using mixed gas on a direct draw system, you would want to have the pressure high and with more restriction. Just use 100% CO2 and proper tubing. By using mixed gas incorrectly, you change the recipe of the product. Brewers put a certain amount of CO2 in each product to produce that beer's taste profile.

The distance of the bulk tank does not matter. If the gas hose coming into the cooler is set to at least 30-40, this will allow you to set the secondaries inside the cooler to the appropriate levels for each product. If you are running any stouts, the blender is a good idea but still run the lagers and ales off 100% CO2. You'll have to stand firm with that you want but it'll be worth it.

If you have more questions or are uncertain, ask. Describe the setup more and you can get advice here on a correctly built system.

Temp of the cooler
    How long the hosing needs to be from keg to back of shank
    style of product

those are the main items needed to guide you to a proper setup

Leave a comment:

• zisaacs
    replied
    I don't even have the blender on yet because we are not quite open yet and the draft system is just now getting installed. I think the NUCO2 installer guy told me he set the blender at either 30 or 20 psi. Is there a general rule of thumb for a proper psi range for the blender?

Leave a comment:

• spdbump
    replied
    What pressuer are you running off the blender ? General rule 5 lbs over the blender setting

Leave a comment:

• zisaacs
    replied
    Thank you Colin, for your feedback. I'm recently wondering why I'm using a blend as well. NUCO2 recommended it, so I trusted them, but with the recent research I've been doing it seems you're right, that straight CO2 would be just fine.

As far as the primary regulator goes, how do I determine what is a good psi to set for the CO2 tank? The CO2 tank is outside and has about 100 feet of gas line before it reaches the gas blender, if that matters or not.

Leave a comment:

• spdbump
    replied
    NuCo2 always defaults to a 60/40 blend. It used to be the standard in the industry, the move to 70/30 just happened within the last 3 yrs. The perfect dispense pressure refers to the co2 applied to the keg, so in your situation it would be the pressure on the secondary regulator in the walk in. Why are you using a blend for a short draw system?

Leave a comment:

• zisaacs
    started a topic Proper CO2 blend/McDantim gas calculators

Proper CO2 blend/McDantim gas calculators

I will be blending my gas with a 60% CO2 ratio for a short-draw, through-the-wall draft system. Brewers Association is now recommending a 70% CO2 ratio, so now I'm wondering if my 60% ratio (that NUCO2 recommended) will work well for me? How did NUCO2 figure out that the 60% ratio is better for my particular setup?
    When figuring out the proper PSIG for my draft beer using McDantim's Easy Pressure calculator (McDantim | Calculators for Draught Beer Dispense), does the "perfect dispense pressure" refer to the pressure on the primary regulator (attached to the CO2 tank) or the pressure on the secondary regulator inside the walk-in? If the answer is the latter, then how do I figure out what to set the primary regulator to? (When NUCO2 did the install, I was unfortunately unavailable and not able to ask these questions)
    Last edited by zisaacs; 03-15-2015, 07:04 PM.
Working...
X