Nitrogen Gas for Guinness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen Gas for Guinness

Now i am looking to set up a Guinness Tap in my bar in a country where Guinness is not available. I have a passion for Guinness and would like to have it on tap rather than just the Guinness Widget can. So i am working on the logistics of getting the kegs at the moment, the other side is the technical set up of the system. I can get the taps, couplings, cooling machine & CO2. The one question i have is nitrogen, is there a specification of the nitrogen gas required? Not just commercial nitrogen.
    Second question is there a good detailed guide available online for the setup of a Guinness Draught system?

Thanks in advance!

bernie248,
    Can you let me know what country you are at so the members can help you?
    KB

Comment

bernie248,
      Guinness needs 25% CO2/75% Nitrogen as the blend. The nitrogen needs to be as pure as possible, 99% or so. But don't know of any set standards in the USA. You will also need a Guinness coupler and slow pour faucet. Run at 30 - 35 psig.

Comment

Hi KillianBoy & DCullender, thanks for your replies. I am in SEA VN, i understand the mix of gasses but the specification of the nitrogen gas i cannot find. Pure as possible i can understand.

Comment

bernie248
          Check with the place you can get the CO2 and ask them if they can add Nitrogen to CO2, Nitrogen will be a gas, CO2 will be a liquid (which turns to a gas as you use the CO2). Check with them if they can check the percentage of CO2 vs. Nitrogen, if they can't, you have to get a blender from this page:
          404 - File or directory not found. This one in particular (MM100S), if you run just Guinness.
          Percentage of stout should be 25% CO2 / 75% Nitrogen, if the place you can get CO2 is clueless, best to get 1 tank of Nitrogen and 1 tank of CO2, then get the blender. this will guarantee a correct blend. Any difference in percentage might cause problems with the beer.
          Other than gas (Nitrogen/CO2 gas also needs a different regulator), the only other difference between Stout and other beers is the use of a stout faucet.
          KB
          Last edited by KillianBoy; 11-14-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Hi KillianBoy, my CO2 supply comes from the breweries who provide the CO2 with the kegs so i will borrow one of these if i get the Guinness setup. The nitrogen i have used here in commercial applications but i am concerned about its purity so which is why i am looking for a specification for it. Of course i will need to have a gas blender like the MM100S.

Comment

bernie248,
              Been waiting for a pro to respond, but honestly you should try and contact the MM affiliate in Hanoi and see if they can help you, you can find it in the directory on the MM homepage (on the bottom).
              The Nitrogen Generator that MM sells creates Nitrogen gas at 99.8% as DCullender says as close to 99% as possible, if it were me I'd go the Nitrogen Generator route, expensive, but it will guarantee gas purity.
              KB

Comment

Okay, just got an answer back from one of the major restaurant gas suppliers in my area. In the USA, there are no regulations specifying beverage quality nitrogen. He also stated that Nitrogen quality is in the 99.9% range. He did state that you can request a copy of the purity certification from the supplier, if you really need to know.

Great discussion! I've learned a lot and I've been doing this for nearly 20 years.

Bottom line is use what you've got and enjoy!

Dennis

Comment

Thanks you for the information.

Comment

Working...
                  X