Designing for different carbonation levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing for different carbonation levels

I am designing a system with 13 feet of elevation gain and a 58 foot run. The beers will be primarily served out of 7 bbl serving tanks that are non asme rated (can only handle up to 15 psi). The carbonation levels will range from around 2-2.8 volumes. Cooler will be around 38 degrees so the tanks will have anywhere from 6-15 pounds of straight CO2 on them. Should I design the system resistance to the average and then adjust with beer pumps or mixed gas? Based on some rough numbers (I am not a professional installer but took the draft quality workshop many years ago) it seems I could get away with using 3/8 trunk line and use pumps or mixed gas for the lower carbonated beers, or go with 5/16 and use pumps for most of them. FYI- I am going with the Bridgette Tap Tower and the Euro style rotary faucets.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

I would run with 5\16 trunk and a blender. Pumps are good but there is always the possibility of a break down and then you are sol on that beer until you can replace the pump. Also with that much elevation gain mixed gas on a blender would be the better option to me, because you are going to have to bump up the pressure to make up for gravity. As far as the v.v on the beers I would average the v.v to get the resistance and then adjust in the cooler with individual regulators for each beer.
    Hope this helps
    Colin Harrison
    Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Thanks for the reply Colin. If I went with the 5/16 line and blended gas wouldn't the required pressure on those tanks with the more elevated carbonation levels exceed the maximum allowable of 15psi?

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by klein59 View Post
        Thanks for the reply Colin. If I went with the 5/16 line and blended gas wouldn't the required pressure on those tanks with the more elevated carbonation levels exceed the maximum allowable of 15psi?

Andy
        Yeah, it would. I missed that part in your original post. Even with the pump set up and straight co2 I think your going to have issues with that 15psi mark on the tanks.
        Colin Harrison
        Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

First thing are you serving from the tanks or kegs? I read as from the tanks. You will need beer pumps to run this system. Elevation alone is 6.5 pounds. You can use 5/16 line, but make sure you use top quality trunk line, check out MicroMatic trunk line.

Also, highly recommend using a qualified draft beer installer to do your work.

Comment

Originally posted by DCullender View Post
            First thing are you serving from the tanks or kegs? I read as from the tanks. You will need beer pumps to run this system. Elevation alone is 6.5 pounds. You can use 5/16 line, but make sure you use top quality trunk line, check out MicroMatic trunk line.

Also, highly recommend using a qualified draft beer installer to do your work.
            Yes, out of the tanks. Was going to use the Micromatic trunkline for sure.

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

Working...
            X