Absolute complete newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute complete newbie!

I have been a craft beer fan for about 3 years now and recently have gotten into Bourbon and Whiskey. A friend of mine and I want to open a bar centering around these two things. We are slowly getting details together. Since I am the bigger Beer fan Im in charge of the research for it. I have been pricing kegerators for the last few hours. I understand the need for Co2 tanks, the tubing,regulators,keg couplers, and general cleaning of the Beer lines. What I am having trouble understanding is why i would purchase a 3-5 Keg Kegerator if it only has two taps. This is probably a dumb and eaasily answered question, however I am just learning about this stuff. I figure i would have to somehow convert to be able to use the 3-5 kegs in refrigeration. IDK. A simple explanation would be very much appreciated. (A complex one is also welcome) Would I be better off trying to Build my own?
    Cheers
    Last edited by KegStupid12; 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM.

KegStupid12,
    I guess you have to define what you mean by keg. I clicked on a 3 tap 3-5 MM, it will fit 2 1/2 w/ 1 1/6 or slim 1/4 (3 kegs, 3 taps, 5 kegs,5 taps with add-ons), and you can get a standard stand-alone, normally 2 tap but you can put 3 taps with an add-on (3 kegs, all small, 3 taps).
    So, go look at the size of kegs you want to pour, if they have them in 1/6 or slim 1/4, then get a BevAir BM-23 with add-on (3 taps). If the craft beers come in only 1/2 kegs, then you got to go with the big MM or True to get 3 1/2 kegs inside.
    So research the size of kegs you like, look at the resource section for different size kegs, I think the biggest DIY unit would hold 2 1/2 and 1 smaller keg, if you want larger you have to go the largest professional unit.
    KB

Comment

OK so lets say I purchase a kegerator. it will hold 3 full kegs(1/2 barrel) and it has 3 faucets what equipment would i need to Hook all 3 up and be able to regulate the Co2 Pressure for each keg? pretty much what would i need for the entire set up

Comment

KegStupid12,
        If you run 3 beers you probably need the Secondary Regulator Panel - 3 Products - 3 Pressures (Plus a primary regulator). But I don't think you can run a bar running only 3 beers and what about back-up kegs?
        If you really want to run a bar that serves draft beer, consult a installer, if not MM, than someone else. They can make recommendations and suggestions what to do.
        If I were to run a bar, I would run more beers and install a walk-on cooler and have room for all your kegs. Look through the commercial section and look at the different installs MM has done.
        If you do want to go it yourself, if you buy a Pro-line, BevAir or True, look at how many faucets it has and how many 1/2 kegs it holds, order +what is on unit to equal max 1/2 kegs it hold (some units are different so check). Then add what beers you want to serve, either "D", "S","A","U" coupler depending on what beers you plan to serve, then add in beer line (with fittings), then gas line (with fittings). If only US craft beer, most are "D" so then order 3 "D" couplers, but some breweries use odd couplers, so check, then regulators as mentioned above, if nitrogen, then different regulator and tank fitting, I'd get a big tank, less refilling, then cleaning gear......
        Honestly, I'd call an installer and ask their opinion and see what they say.
        KB

Comment

Working...
        X