Glycol Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Maintenance

I posted this in the Home Bar/Keg section, but did not get a response. Hopefully, I can get some expert advice here.

I switched from an air cooled system to a MM 35' glycol Powerpack about a year ago. I get a perfect pour every time, but have a few questions.

1) I am getting about two cups of overflow glycol a week. I assume the system is pulling water from somewhere. Any thoughts on where and how I can stop it?

2) I have a Zeus, polished brass, glycol ready three faucet tower. Beautiful product, but I am getting condensation and mildew in the area between the faucets. We tend to use the pub room only on weekends. Short of wiping it off everyday, is there anything I can do to stop that? If not, any suggestions on what to use to clean it?

3) I need to change the glycol and purchased a couple of gallons of glycol from MM. I get I need to cut it per the 2.5 to 1 instructions. What I do not get is how to flush the glycol lines and what to use to flush them. For that matter, is it even necessary to flush the lines?

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1) I am getting about two cups of overflow glycol a week. I assume the system is pulling water from somewhere. Any thoughts on where and how I can stop it?

Has this been consistent since the system was installed? A glycol system is a closed system, no idea where you would be getting overflow. The only thing I could think of is that one of the glycol lines is kinded and back flowing? How many glycol lines are you running?
    Colin Harrison
    Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

The only possibility of the bath becoming diluted with water would be through an opening at the lid of the power pack's bath. Be certain that the lid is resting in the correct position and tight on top of the bath container.

Refill the bath with warm water and circulate to flush system, then siphon. If the warm water circulation produced discoloration and sediment, flush again with a fresh warm water bath. Continue until clear.

Colin, which power pack do you have? If you have the smaller unit that has a vertical pump on the top lid (as Bar Build does), remove the lid to access the bottom of the pump. If there is a propeller, remove it as this may be the cause for the overflow.

As to the number of glycol lines, this depends on number of product lines. In Micro Matic trunk line with 10 products or more, there are two glycol loops with four lines.

Colin, please check your private messages as I will leave my contact info so we can discuss.
      Last edited by Scott Zuhse; 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM.
      Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

I switched out the glycol mix and it no longer seems to be picking up water and overflowing, although it has only been a day or two. Scott's suggestion that it was drawing humidity from the air because the reservoir lid was not sealed may have been the problem. If it starts up again, I will make another post.

Any thoughts on the condensation and mildew appearing on the Zeus tower in the area of the faucets?

Thanks for the replies, the help is appreciated.

Comment

Scott, was trying to quote from the original post, did it wrong sorry
          Colin Harrison
          Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Build View Post
            I switched out the glycol mix and it no longer seems to be picking up water and overflowing, although it has only been a day or two. Scott's suggestion that it was drawing humidity from the air because the reservoir lid was not sealed may have been the problem. If it starts up again, I will make another post.

Any thoughts on the condensation and mildew appearing on the Zeus tower in the area of the faucets?

Thanks for the replies, the help is appreciated.
            The condensation will be an aspect of this tower you will have to live with. As to the mold and mildew, clean daily. possibly spray with the product that reduces mold and mildew build up used for shower stalls.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

I am still getting a lot of overflow. It happens continuously so the system has to be drawing liquid form somewhere. I checked the lid and it seems tight. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Build View Post
                I am still getting a lot of overflow. It happens continuously so the system has to be drawing liquid form somewhere. I checked the lid and it seems tight. Any thoughts?
                The issue with excess glycol overflow continues. About once every two weeks, the overflow will fill up a 16 ounce cup with glycol. I also have a couple of other issues occurring. Today, I checked the system and inside the glycol bath, the copper cooling tubes were iced over with a couple of inches of ice all the way around. There also was ice around the glycol lines, both inside the fridge and outside. This is the first time this has happened. The readout read 24 F. I shut the system down to let it thaw. I am guessing this could be a bad thermostat given the system is set to kick off at 29 F and turn on at 32 F. After it thaws, I’ll restart it and see if the thermostat still kicks the system on and off like it should.

The other issue relates to how the system is pouring. If I pour a beer, then do not come back for 20-30 minutes, when I pour another beer the following happens:
                -An initial good flow of beer for a few seconds;
                -A brief burst of foam;
                -A few more seconds of a good flow;
                -A longer burst of foam;
                -Finally, a continual good flow.
                If I then immediately pour another beer, however, it pours perfect. I only get the foam if it sits for 20 minutes or so. (I know, I know, if I just drank quicker, this would solve the problem. I agree completely. After experimenting with this fix late into the night with my buddies, however, I have determined Her Highness does not concur. I also determined she has absolutely no empathy for a hangover . . . .)

In terms of settings, as indicated, I have the glycol pump set to turn on at 29 F and turn off at 32 F, which it what it has been set at since the install in May, 2010. The line run outside the beer fridge is about five feet with one 90 degree turn up. I also checked the humidity in the basement. It is about 55%.

The system was installed by a Micromatic certified dealer/installer, who I felt knew his stuff. Within the last 3-4 months, I had it looked at by a beer tech in my hometown whom the Micromatic installer recommended. I felt he also knew his stuff. He gave the system a pretty thorough going over, but could not figure out the cause of any of the above. What is really odd is that the system worked well for over a year, then the issue with the overflow started almost overnight.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X