Accurate Thermometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate Thermometer?

Question to the collective wisdom.............
    I monitor my pour temperatures regularly using a number of thermometers, none of which calibrate to less than 2-3 degrees. One (an OXO analog) reads about 4 degrees or so cold, another (Digital I got at Harbor Freight) about 3-4 degrees warm, and lastly a Taylor digital remote probe about 2-3 degrees warm. I suppose this isn't much of an issue but got me to wondering............what reasonably priced thermometer is out there that can give a more accurate reading without having to "adjust" ?
    "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
    Gram Parsons

I got a digital food thermometer from the grocery store for 12 bucks that is practically dead on. It reads 32.5 in an ice batch.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by Acmemfg View Post
      Question to the collective wisdom.............
      I monitor my pour temperatures regularly using a number of thermometers, none of which calibrate to less than 2-3 degrees. One (an OXO analog) reads about 4 degrees or so cold, another (Digital I got at Harbor Freight) about 3-4 degrees warm, and lastly a Taylor digital remote probe about 2-3 degrees warm. I suppose this isn't much of an issue but got me to wondering............what reasonably priced thermometer is out there that can give a more accurate reading without having to "adjust" ?
      Adjusting isn't that big of a deal.

I have a Taylor digital remote probe, which I use for BBQ. It also reads 3 degrees warm.

I just take the temp difference into consideration when I read the thermometer.
      Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

No...it no kind of issue at all really. I was just thinking when it is time for a new thermometer, I would just as soon get one that is spot on and not have to consider the + - factor. If I have to pony up $$$ for something I prefer having it work as correctly as possible out of the box.
        "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
        Gram Parsons

Comment

If the thermometer is a non-adjustable type, simply place it in ice water and fudge the number of degrees it is off when testing the actual product.
          Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

As Cubby mention above I got mine from the grocery store as well, it is a Taylor. Also reads 32.5 in ice bath so you can not beat that for pretty much spot on!

Comment

The difference is due to different algorithm /code schemes of reading temperature

Comment

Working...
              X