how do i get a longer line????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i get a longer line????

Ok im running Yeungling at 10 psi and Blue Moon at 14 psi. If I angle the glass perfectly I can get a good glass from the yeung but no matter what I do with the moon its half foam. I have a brand new kegerator that came with a 5 ft length of hose. So i assuming a longer line will help me out but....I either see 5' of 3/16 (which is the diameter I want right?) that has the nut on the one end or just sold by the foot. I understand that I can just by 10' of hose but how do I get the nut on the one end so it will screw onto the keg coupler?? Mine is crimped on and I dont see any fittings besides just getting the nut. please help me out
    thanks

Get a new tail piece - they're cheap.

Tailpieces Brass / Stainless

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Ok so what I need to do is get the line by the foot, a new nut and a talpiece and they will all work together?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt286 View Post
        Ok im running Yeungling at 10 psi and Blue Moon at 14 psi. If I angle the glass perfectly I can get a good glass from the yeung but no matter what I do with the moon its half foam. I have a brand new kegerator that came with a 5 ft length of hose. So i assuming a longer line will help me out but....I either see 5' of 3/16 (which is the diameter I want right?) that has the nut on the one end or just sold by the foot. I understand that I can just by 10' of hose but how do I get the nut on the one end so it will screw onto the keg coupler?? Mine is crimped on and I dont see any fittings besides just getting the nut. please help me out
        thanks
        There should only be two PSI difference between the Yuengling and Blue Moon. What is your beer temperature. Before you do anything with the beer line, balance your system first. If you 38 f your Yuengling should be 14 and Blue Moon 16 PSIG @ sea level.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Yes the temp is good and the reason the pressure is at that is because it was too foamy. So I lowered the pressure to get some beer as a quick fix until I get the lines longer. Will that tailpiece work with the nuts sold in the beer equipment store?

Comment

The reason your beer is foamy in the first place is because your pressure is too low. Do not follow the advice of other posts that state a longer beer line will be better. This is false as it is a band aid at best. Get your pressure and temperature in line and then worry about the flow speed.

Don't follow my advice because I work for Micro Matic. Possibly you might want to though as I have 30 years in the industry with 1000's of systems either evaluated, repaired, installed consulted on and most certainly consumed from. And if this does not work for you, how about physics? The laws of gasses to be specific. And throw temperature in there too: as it must be constant from the keg to the faucet for your PSIG of CO2 to perform correctly.

But if you want to install 10 ft. of 3/16" line to overcome a system that is out of balance, go for it. This will absolutely allow you to dispense from your system much easier. You will eventually be drinking flat beer.

Keep one thing in your mind. Beer has gas - CO2. If you want to enjoy your product through dispensing from your kegerator, keep this gas where it belongs as you dispense and throughout the life of the keg to the best of your ability.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Wow. Relax. I never said I don't want to listen to you. I never said I know anything about this stuff and I think me asking a question in the first place means I want some help. I was only stating that my temp is good and that when I had the pressure higher it was insane foam. I only lowered as a band aid. I can't help being influenced by numerous posts saying that a longer line is needed so why wouldn't I think that would help. If I was going to install longer lines I was planning on increasing the pressure back up. I know a lower pressure will make my beer flat because when I was trying control the foam at first I put it too low and ruined the blue moon. It's just now staying carbonated but a half a glass of foam. Sooooo sorry for using a forum for the way it is supposed to be used for. I guess I'll just try different things and hope for he best. At least I won't get bashed from the experts

Comment

Before you go off trying all those "different things" and end up wasting too much valuable beer-

First although perhaps a bit stern in his admonishment, Mr. Zuhse is correct; I have discovered this the hard way. Indeed a common fallacy to which I and many others have fallen prey during the "War on Foam" is to lower the PSI. Seems to help a bit until the last 1/3 or so of the keg.
                Then the beer gets all weird and just not right...funny tasting and flat-ish.
                I have finally gotten my system balanced. Sea level, 14 PSI about 39 degree 2nd pour temperature. I'm getting glass after glass of fresh and tasty beer. BUT....indeed there was an issue with how quick the pour was. My solution was to order some stainless steel splicers from Micro Matic and an additional 9 feet of 3/16" beer line. I have 3 taps so I just cut and spliced an additional 3 feet of line into the existing 5 feet (now each line is 8 feet long). Lo and behold...still great beer and at a pour speed much easier to handle.

Moral-
                Temperature and PSI are the variables to address if you want your beer to be drinkable
                Length of beer line is the variable to help deliver said drinkable beer more easily into the vessel of your choice.
                Last edited by Acmemfg; 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM.
                "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
                Gram Parsons

Comment

Ok that's pretty much what I wanted to know. And sounds like u were in the same boat I was

Comment

I have increased my line to 12 feet. It takes me 10 seconds to pour a 16 oz beer from my kegerator @ 14 PSI. at 4 ft it used to shoot out like a shuttle launch.

I have not seen a table / list of length of line vs PSI vs flow speed. That would be a good thing to do. It would have to take into account the height / elevation of the tap above the keg. Maybe altitude too....hmmmm. Complicated. How about start long, and see how it goes.

I am not sure if the type of beer affects the pour speed. - does Mich ultra pour faster than an India Ale etc.
                    Alan in PA

Comment

A lot of posters do state that their longer beer line helps reduce foam. Here's the thing with that, though. IF your beer is at the proper temperature/pressure settings, and the foam is the result of a fast pour (beer hits the glass too fast and turns to foam), then yes, a longer line is what you need to slow that pour down.

A longer line itself is not the solution if your pressure and temperature settings are incorrect.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

"I am not sure if the type of beer affects the pour speed. - does Mich ultra pour faster than an India Ale etc"
                        That is a very good question...................
                        "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
                        Gram Parsons

Comment

Working...
                        X