Refrigerant Recharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerant Recharge

Hi, first off I'm totally new to the kegerator world. I just purchased a used Beverage Air BM23 and the system needs to be recharged. It had a leak previously so they opened the line for recharging. The prices i've been quoted were really high and i was wondering if anyone had any info on a DIY way. The unit uses r134a refrigerant. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Who are "they" and what area are u in? If u just need a recharge, perhaps the local hardware store...they sell cans of refrigerant for a variety of things generally... which I do assume (and I'am sure you know what assuming makes us!) works for that type. or better yet, call a local HVAC co., or refrigeration co.s in your area...not gonna be cheap necessarily, but it'll be cold!

Comment

Originally posted by SpyPenguin View Post
      Hi, first off I'm totally new to the kegerator world. I just purchased a used Beverage Air BM23 and the system needs to be recharged. It had a leak previously so they opened the line for recharging. The prices i've been quoted were really high and i was wondering if anyone had any info on a DIY way. The unit uses r134a refrigerant. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
      Those units are what is known as "critical charge" & are not like a car in regards to charging one up. It takes an exact amount of refrigerant for those units to work properly & is not really a DIY project unless you have experience in working with them.

And if the unit is low now, it still has a leak. Get a company that works with those types of units. Not just a HVAC company.

THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Just to update... i called several appliance places and got quoted outrageous prices by all. Some said they wouldnt even work on those units. Eventually i met someone who did A/C and refrigeration, and he fixed it no problem in less then an hour for FREE. Obviously it wasnt that difficult so to anyone else with this problem... just look around for the right person to work on it. The unit runs AWESOME now and during the test run it got below 30°. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyPenguin View Post
          Just to update... i called several appliance places and got quoted outrageous prices by all. Some said they wouldnt even work on those units. Eventually i met someone who did A/C and refrigeration, and he fixed it no problem in less then an hour for FREE. Obviously it wasnt that difficult so to anyone else with this problem... just look around for the right person to work on it. The unit runs AWESOME now and during the test run it got below 30°. Thanks for the info.
          And what exactly was the problem? Inquiring minds want to know.

THE ICEMAN
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
          X