Power Pack Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Pack Leak

I got a call about an MMPP4301 glycol unit that is leaking. The unit is only about a year old and the leak is coming from the pump area. At first it appeared to be coming from the glycol line coming from the pump so I pulled back the insulation and discovered a small cut in the line that appeared to be the problem. I repaired the crack but am still getting a leak. I tried looking around the pump but it is so hard to discern whether the leak is generating there or running in from another area (it's a drip not a spray so there is not much to see). Are there any troubleshooting tips or techniques that could be used to trace back the leak?
    Ed
    Blue Line Draft Systems
    www.bluelinedraft.com

Ed, I had this problem before, check the pump itself, it could be the seal on the pump. Check around where the pump and motor meet, it would be dripping there. Also, make sure it's not condensation. If the condensation mixes with residual glycol from the original leak, it could give you a false positive for a glycol leak

Comment

That is where it seems to be leaking, right from where the pump and motor meet. I couldn't tell if it was gathering there or sourcing from there because the condensation made everything else wet. What's the fix, replacing the pump or is there another way? What would cause this after only a year of operation?
      Ed
      Blue Line Draft Systems
      www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

I had had the same problem on a system after only 3 months. The only solution is to replace the pump which in my case was under warranty. I always use colored glycol so it's easier to eleiminate confusion with condensation.

Comment

Working...
        X