Really basic beer industry questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really basic beer industry questions.

Forgive me for asking some basic questions however, I am not in the beer industry and after searching around, though that this would be a good place to ask.

An organization that I am affiliated with (volunteer) sponsors a fairly large outdoor fundraising event each year. It is a 4-day event and beer sales are a very big part of the picture. The event attracts several hundred thousand people, about half of legal drinking age.

For years, we have simply selling beer by the can because, according to some long-standing volunteers, "it's just easier." Frankly, I think there's more to it than that, going all the way up to the distributor level.

Anyway, we are considering going to draft beer sales as a means of increasing profits. Since I/we have never gone down this route before, I have some very basic questions that I will ask here versus posing them to the local distributors (which I eventually will do).

Is there a preference from a distributor perspective to sell can beer versus draft beer for these types of local events or, is it that they will simply provide whatever we want to sell?

Typically, who pays for all the infrastructure surround selling draft beer such as the dispensing equipment, selling kiosks, on-site refrigeration?

Obviously, there is a cost component surrounding the beer dispensing equipment and "somebody" is paying for it directly or indirectly. Since our event is so large and we have it every year, does it make sense simply to purchase our own dispensing equipment, including things like the kegerators and kiosks, etc. We have lots of storage space.

One concern that I have regarding selling draft beer is line contamination? For a 4-day event, is this something we should be concerned about?

Any/all input is greatly appreciated?
    Last edited by Riva; 07-08-2013, 06:15 PM.

Where are you located ?
    Rules and regulations about equipment and special events varry from state to stae. Contact your local distributors rto see if they have Drafrt trailers that are mobile beer coolers and dispensers.
    Colin Harrison
    Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

As Colin stated, each state has their own regulations and you will have to get your permits and direction from your local government reps. However, here is how it works in Virginia. The local distributors have refrigerated trucks, from van to 18 wheeler size. Some of these trucks are set up as party trucks and come complete with everything needed to pour a pint of beer. All that is needed are tables and cups. I would approach your distributors for pricing and availability of the use of these trucks, if they have them. Generally, the vehicles come at little to no cost, depending on how many kegs you will guarantee.

Kegs versus cans: Go with kegs every time. Kegs are much cheaper with a higher ROI. Less storage, less ice, less time serving.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Comment

sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
        X