Ontario beer prices, talk about getting hosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario beer prices, talk about getting hosed

Not sure I posted this in the right place or not but...

To ANY other province/state that thinks that they pay too much for beer, let me give you a cost run down from good ole'Ontario. Bought a 20L of Alexander Keith's Pale Ale last night. Price out the door (including keg deposit of $20) was $119.95! That's $99.95 for the beer or $1.70 each when converted to bottles.

More math (all converted to 341ml)

price per bottle when buying a 24 and subtracting the deposit = $1.56

price per beer when buying a 20L keg = $1.70

price per beer when buying a 58L keg = $1.45

And these keg prices don't take the co2 ($49 for filling my 5lb), cleaning solution or anything else into account! Mind you I LOVE keg beer and I pay the price for it but anyone thinking that going with kegs is a cost savings in Ontario, be warned

Pretty much all the main brands cost the same as well including Blue, Coors, Bud, Canadian...

Home brew and keg it! Provided homebrewing is legal in Ontario. A pale ale is one of the easiest beers to brew.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I like your thinking Cubby Swans!

Comment

when I lived in ontario i bought from one of the many local brewerys and payed 80 plus 20 for the first deposit. there was the brick, wellington, or the huther. all good and about the same price. now i live in sask. and pay a lot more. they want 120 for the deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond View Post
          when I lived in ontario i bought from one of the many local brewerys and payed 80 plus 20 for the first deposit. there was the brick, wellington, or the huther. all good and about the same price. now i live in sask. and pay a lot more. they want 120 for the deposit.
          How long ago was that Edmond? I'll have to try some microbreweries, hopefully they'll be cheaper...

Comment

I don't really care about the deposit when factoring cost. You get that money back, eventually.

The standard deposit around here is $50. Kegs cost breweries much more than $50. Think more like $200 each. They have to best ensure that they get their keg back so they don't have to purchase another one. Here kegs go for sale in the want ads for $50 and people snatch them up because they use them to make gas tanks, grills, brew kettles, fire pits, etc. If the deposit were $20 breweries would lose kegs left and right because many people don't seem to grasp the concept that the keg is the brewery's property. Most people would care if someone stole a $200 piece of property from them, but many people don't seem to care if they steal a $200 piece of property from a brewery.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I have Canadian friends that come here for the winter and, they do get hosed for beer and spirits. Drink in the good old USA. Keg dep. here in Boynton Beach Fl., $35.00

Comment

Working...
              X