Out of date keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of date keg

I know an out of date keg can cause off tastes and foam, but can it also cause the beer line to be dirty. I had a beer line on a well maintained system ( every 2 wks) become extremely dirty and cleaned it and also brushed the line out in the cooler with a 6 ft brush only to have it become dirty in a week.
    The other lines in the system were ok.
    Distributor was called and they discovered the keg was out of date but said the problem was dirty lines.

What kind of beer?

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Labatts lt

Comment

An out of date keg will neither cause foam or accelerate lines to become dirty. The product simply becomes undesirable over time.

Be absolutely certain that your system is cleaned properly. It may be a good idea to use a heavier mixture of alkaline and a circulation pump to hit the system hard. Circulate for at least 10 minutes. Rinse with water and then use an acid for the solids such as beer stone.

If the off taste goes away but comes back in a week or so, the line has a significant level of beer stone build up and will harbor bacteria. It may be time to replace the lines.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

What I don't understand is that the same 6 lines are tied together and cleaned with a pump every 2 weekss and only the one line became dirty. The original report was a foam problem not an off taste.

Comment

Originally posted by draft45331 View Post
            I know an out of date keg can cause off tastes and foam, but can it also cause the beer line to be dirty. I had a beer line on a well maintained system ( every 2 wks) become extremely dirty and cleaned it and also brushed the line out in the cooler with a 6 ft brush only to have it become dirty in a week.
            The other lines in the system were ok.
            Distributor was called and they discovered the keg was out of date but said the problem was dirty lines.
            Attempt to change directions with the circulation by starting at a faucet at the other end of the tower. Again, check your chemical mixture and hit it with a 3% solution. Use an acid base cleaner as well. Always rinse with water.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Working...
            X