Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with distributors and wholesalers

Hey Everyone,
    My name is Aj, I am new on the forums. If my questions are newbie questions I apologize ahead of time. I hear the best way to make a profit (besides working with a great draft system) is keeping a relationship with your distributors and wholesalers, does this in fact help a future bar owner out. I mean I figured there gonna charge me what they want and obviously I want to keep a good relationship with them but could it make a big difference if you used only one or switched it up? I am located in Chicago and according to others there are hundreds here so what would a newbie do. Switch it up or stay with one? is there a law that requires me to or is it just business etiquette? I am in the planning stage and budgeting stage so any info would be great.

Thanks
    Aj

Originally posted by agutierrez12 View Post
    is there a law that requires me to or is it just business etiquette?
    I don't know about wholesale beer distribution, but the industry I'm in vendors are limited to territories. If I want to use a particular manufacturer's logic controller, I have to buy it from the distributor that the manufacturer dictates. Often my colleagues on the West coast may be able to get the same thing cheaper than I, but I'm stuck with who I have to buy from. I'd suspect that larger breweries may do the same thing.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

HMMM interesting....

Comment

It would be in your best interest to build a relationship with each supplier. The distributor sales personnel will appreciate your commitment to quality and offer referrals. Be careful not to favor one wholesaler over the other at retail. This will cause issues in the long run.

You will be much more profitable if you can clean as many faucets as possible with each visit. Do not fall into the line cleaning abyss that others have. If you believe that you will make tons of money by showing up at the retailer and simply running a little cleaning solution through the the line, your relationships with the wholesalers will diminish quickly. Sell your services and clean the systems thoroughly.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Hi Aj, I'm located here in illinois and im sorta confused here. Are you planning to start up a bar or are you getting ready to start up a draft service business.?if you are searching for rules and regulations, try the illinois liquor control commission.web site is www.ilcc.gov.pretty sure thats what it is,allmy paperwork is in my work vehicle right now.If it is a bar youre starting up, like pscycodad said,they run by territories.Alot of them in illinois are combining and making mega-distributors. same goes with liquor distributors. If you are joining the draft line biz,make nice with as many you can.Throw them some buisness cards, and give them some tips on possible new openings in your area.Basically the scratch my back theory.I also help them out by replacing parts keg heads-faucets etc. after a while they will kick you back some parts or a lead on a possible account. I have been fortunate and worked with some real nice sales reps,and it works out real well. if you ever have any questions,im always checking in here daily. hope it helps,cya-brianatkcdraft.

Comment

Oops! I apologize for the post. I had line cleaning on the brain. Ditto Psychodad and Brianatkcdraft. Also, work with the suppliers who have a desire to consult with you so that you will succeed. They have resources other than products that they can provide - including knowledge.

Comment

Draft line service & tech support

I represent the no. 6 beer bar in America. We have 42 draft lines & 622 bottles. I've been doing this for 11 years now. feel free to call 941/685-2686 AFTER 2 PM!!!!! or reply to howie. I'll take you through all the ins & outs.

Comment

mornin sir howard, sure wish you were in my area, i think i found the holy grail! we could definitley have a long conversation! cya-brianatkcdraft

Comment

SCOTT....IS THERE ANY WAY TO ELIMINATE THESE VERMIN???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????cya brian

Comment

I eliminate then as soon as I can. Greatly apreciate the heads up emails sent by those who see them first.

Comment

I seriously think you ought to consider getting off the hallucinigens, or go play dungeons and dragons with your buds in the basement of your parents house. Just a friendly suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                      X