Brewing Classic Styles recipe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing Classic Styles recipe question

I have been using the recipes from Brewing Classic Styles as a starting point, but find that I always must cut back on the grain bill in order to stay within style according to BeerSmith. When I do use the BeerSmith adjusted recipes, I come in on style so am trying to figure out why. Just for experimentation I recently ran a batch using Jamil's recipe exactly on a Dubbel and it came in at 9.2% alcohol - much closer to a Tripel.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by buiduyen; 08-18-2015, 08:46 PM.

I'm not familiar with the book 'Brewing Classic Styles', but I'd suspect the author simply had lower efficiency than what you are getting with your mash. Do the recipes in the book note what efficiency the author was getting? If so, you can compare that with what BeerSmith is indicating you are getting.

At any rate, whenever I use another's recipe, I usually run it through BeerSmith anyway and adjust things to suit my preferences.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Brewing Classic Styles --- Where from i can get this book ? Its looking interested and i want to read this.

Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 04-29-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

You can find it on Amazon.

THE ICEMAN
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
        X