This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran 8, 1/6 no problems. added first 1/2 keg main issue getting co2 no beer

First time kegerator setup. Dual pulls, Started with putting 3 sets of 1/6 kegs in through box. Ran around 10lbs co2 and all worked fine through all 3 sets mixed beers over several months.

Put in my first 1/2 barrel keg, coors light. Ran about 1/4-1/3 of the barrel fine. Then I had a weird co2 spike. Regulator malfunction, I got a little beer and lots of foam with a lot of pressure. I was doing research and even called a keg company, but I thought the co2 bleed was the one on the bottle (collective nub).

I couldn't get it to lower pressure, I turned off the co2 and was trying to bleed down just from the tap. After more research I realized to bleed the keg at the coupler. So I did that. Now after all that high foam bleeding I have by weight about 30lbs of beer in the keg. I checked the check ball in the coupler, but when I add pressure now I just get co2 and no beer no foam, like the keg is empty. Lines are empty. Did I screw the pooch here, wth am I doing wrong?

You could have a cracked spear in the keg. If the spear is cracked you are not drawing from the bottom of the keg like you are supposed to. You won't be able to draw from below the level of the crack.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Thanks, at least I can start with a fresh keg and see what happens. I didn't realize that could happen, so it makes sense. Advice appreciated. Could I have done this if I did freeze the keg? Or does it just happen sometimes?

Comment

Happens sometimes. I've frozen kegs without breaking the spear.
        Last edited by djc; 10-04-2016, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks. I was going crazy and you nailed it. Replaced keg and with everything set like it always had been, it is working fine. When I took it back to total wine they tried it with a hand pump and got nothing, thus resulting in them even giving me a discount off the next one. I am new, if there is a way for me to reward your efforts on this forum let me know and I surely will. Best regards.

Comment

Glad it worked out. Drink on.

Comment

How do they know what it was though?

What I have seen out there quite a few times recently is the ball that sits inside the keg seal, has a flat spot, and its just enough to keep the tavern head from pushing it down far enough
              to get beer to flow. Once i was able to de pressurize the keg, and take a small flat head screw driver and turn it to where there wasnt a flat spot sitting on top. They can get turned

Comment

Working...
              X