Home Beer Retail Beer Commercial Closed Chemical Systems

Thread: sticking faucet

kceb is offline Junior Member

Default sticking faucet

just upgraded my kegerator to a dual tap setup and now i'm having problems with just one of the faucets sticking all the time dosnt matter what kind of beer in on that faucet or how often i take it off and clean it within a day it will be stuck closed, could it be a bad faucet or do i have something else going on?

Acmemfg is offline Senior Member
    Florida East Coast-Rather be in Tennessee

Swap the faucets...see what happens. If it is a bad faucet you should know. However before running out and replacing it, disassemble the faucet completely. Clean it within an inch of its life (use a bore brush and old toothbrush; get into every nook and cranny. THEN...
    take a good hard look at the o-ring. If it looks remotely worn or damaged...toss it. Other than that there is nothing else to inspect or that can go afoul.
    "One more night like this will put me six feet under"
    Gram Parsons

blackls1ttop is offline Member

Per lick faucet time for a upgrade

aspinallar is offline Senior Member

Don't forget that your faucet has two tiny holes for air to enter
    You'll need a tiny bit of wire to clean them out.
    I didn't find the second hole for nearly 20 years.

you'll have to look for the two holes as they are not easily found
    Alan in PA

anyone have a pic of the two holes? The faucet is less than a month old and has been carefully cleaned several times and i have swaped it from one keg to the other will no luck

Good call on the P e r lick. Never worry about sticking again. But if that's not an option:

The holes...

Can't get a picture but, the first one is through the exterior of the faucet on the inside curve about 1 inch up from where the beer comes out, directly below the moving inside horizontal shaft/piston. Should be easy to see.

the 2nd is inside the faucet; a tad tricky to find. remove the top lever (the piece the tap handle screws on to) and slide/piston. Look directly down the hole...you will see hole #2 (and the first one too for that matter). LOOK HARD..they may be clogged up with gunk. All you will need to clean them out is something like an unbent paperclip if necessary. Happy trails..................
    Gram Parsons

Sounds like a bad faucet though... you did swap out the entire assembly as you mentioned? If so, try moving just the piston from one faucet to the other. As I see it that is the only moving part and if anything is wrong, it would most probably be there. If Piston "A" from the sticking faucet is installed in Faucet "B" (the unsticky faucet) and Faucet "B" (the good one) now sticks...there is the problem. Or vice/versa. You get the idea.
    Gram Parsons

there is a site selling a per lick faucet for only 22.99 that is a steel. i love my faucet, it will never stick again and is so smooth and easy to pull and its all stainless steel.

Firebaall Guest

I noticed the faucet that came with my BM-23 sticks if I don't pull a draft for a couple days. Anybody know what brand of faucet comes with the new BM-23s?

Are per licks (still don't know what that name is blocked here), a good idea to swap in?

FCSquid is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firebaall View Post
    I noticed the faucet that came with my BM-23 sticks if I don't pull a draft for a couple days. Anybody know what brand of faucet comes with the new BM-23s?

Are per licks (still don't know what that name is blocked here), a good idea to swap in?
    Just did that to my own system, my new 575SS (the kind with the foaming feature when you push back on the faucet) just arrived yesterday. After my next cleaning, I'll give you some beta.

djc
    djc is offline Super Member

Is the 575 you are talking about a creamer as Per**** calls them? Is there a non foaming position on them as well?

FCSquid is offline Member

djc, you're correct. 575SS (the SS stands for Stainless Steel) has three positions: forward for a regular pour, neutral to stop, and push back for foaming. I just played with the action a little bit, and the 'foaming' position is spring-loaded to return it back to neutral. So if you don't want to use the foaming feature it won't get in the way of a regular pour.

The 525SS is the one that has just pour and stop positions. The 575 was only about $5 more, and if I find that that foaming feature doesn't work out, I just won't use it.

I did have to do some research to figure out which model was which. 525xx is non-foaming, 575xx is foaming.

Scott Zuhse is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kceb View Post
    just upgraded my kegerator to a dual tap setup and now i'm having problems with just one of the faucets sticking all the time dosnt matter what kind of beer in on that faucet or how often i take it off and clean it within a day it will be stuck closed, could it be a bad faucet or do i have something else going on?
    Beer is like glue when it dries. Trickle hot water over the faucet to soften the glue. Faucet will open freely after this procedure.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

djc
    djc is offline Super Member

Thanks FCSquid!

Larry Tapper is offline Senior Member

MM FACUET PLUGS DO A GREAT JOB ON THIS PROMBLEM IF USED CORRECTLY, Fill the facuet plug with warm water place oit on the facuet at the end of the drinking ***iod, and give it a little squezze, this rinse the in side of the facuet and keeps bar flyes from getting in the facuet.
    L. Tapper

Firebaall Guest

Is there some kind of retarded censor bot going mad?

Funny....but annoying.

I guess we'll have to start calling them "happy cat noise + tongue motion faucets". Seriously, this is retarded censorship.

P3RL1CK FAUCET!

Is this crap going on because micromatic doesn't carry P3RL1CK FAUCETS? If so, this is very childish and petty. Maybe try stocking faucets that aren't cheap junk instead of blocking solutions? Not exactly a way to foster a good relationship with your customers.....

You can't say "P3RL1CK FAUCET"! Because we don't want you to buy something better than we carry..... lame beyond words.

Quote Originally Posted by FCSquid View Post
    Just did that to my own system, my new 575SS (the kind with the foaming feature when you push back on the faucet) just arrived yesterday. After my next cleaning, I'll give you some beta.
    Thanks, I think I'll order one too.....out of spite partly.

***edit***

looks like the censor is being relaxed a bit. We can spell out "lick" again.

Anyways, I ordered a full stainless P3RL1CK set from tap to coupler. I'm replacing all the micromatic components with high quality items.
    Last edited by Firebaall; 03-16-2011 at 11:11 AM.

your going to love the per lick set, its really nice.

Draftguy is offline Junior Member

in response to the Firebaall post....Why would MM stock a competitors parts? While the jury is out on this faucet (haven't seen one in action), the previous iterations of their faucets were the worst pouring faucets I have ever encountered in the last 3 or 4 years. Their engineers have had some flops in the last few years with these and their "smart" couplers. Good thing scrap brass as paying large these days. I will agree however on their finish on their tower and power packs abilities-simply outstanding although the MM Kool-Rite equipped towers(all stainless faucets) are second to none on their perfect pours and coupled with their trunk line -there is no better.
    Last edited by Draftguy; 03-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.

well i picked up a per lick faucet and have replaced the one faucet that was always sticking. I have to say it moves really smooth and i have had no sticking problems but i guess i need to learn how to pour a beer all over again because i cant seem to get a beer out of the per lick with out a huge head. Didnt have that problem before i switched out the faucet and my temp and psi are both the same as before so it must just be me

Firebaall Guest

The first 6 or 10 pints poured a bit foamy for me too (after getting rid of the micromatic gear).

It's now pouring 100% perfect with ZERO sticking issues.

I changed everything out. Faucet, elbow shank,beer line, and keg coupler. P3RL1CK equipment is the way to go. Mircomatic gear just isn't in the same ballpark.

I might make a jockey box out of the micromatic gear, since it will just end up sitting in a dark corner otherwise.

....naw I wouldn't even use it for that.

The first 6 or 10 pints poured a bit foamy for me too (after getting rid of the micromatic gear).

It's now pouring 100% perfect with ZERO sticking issues.

I changed everything out. Faucet, elbow shank,beer line, and keg coupler. P3RL1CK equipment is the way to go. Mircomatic gear just isn't in the same ballpark.

I might make a jockey box out of the micromatic gear, since it will just end up sitting in a dark corner otherwise.

....naw I wouldn't even use it for that.
    I am willing to put damn good money on the fact that the only reason you were receiving that much foam had absolutely nothing to do with the Micro Matic equipment but more so the system balance. . Now that you have the hair on the back of my neck standing, I'll put good money on the fact that you are a very tiny minority on this forum as to your dislike of Micro Matic equipment.

If you truly desire to be a majority in your beliefs, go to the Per lick website and post on their forum. That might be a problem as they don't have one!

Say what is on your mind and be specific as to your claims. Otherwise, find some other forum to blow your horn.

For the record....

I have Pearl Lick stuff; I also have MM stuff. Both are high quality gear. Both perform well. One thing about Pearl Lick products-any time you may need to replace a component of say, a coupler or faucet..ONLY Pearl Lick parts will work. I find that not good, especially if you need said part in a hurry. MM equipment is much more adaptable in those cases where a quick fix (like through a part swap with said part being obtained from a local source..bar, distributor, etc.) is desirable. That is a very good thing.
    Gram Parsons

psychodad is offline Super Moderator

As Scott said, that is evidence to me that it was out of balance and not equipment. A little reading on this forum would have saved you a lot of time and money.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Acmemfg & Psychodad, thanks for the posts above. Be aware that my post was not about Per lick. It was about a member who either has an agenda or some beef with Micro Matic. This forum has no place for that type of rant. If it continues without any specifics as to issues with MM equipment, the member will need to find another forum.

Firebaall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
    I am willing to put damn good money on the fact that the only reason you were receiving that much foam had absolutely nothing to do with the Micro Matic equipment but more so the system balance.
    How does "a bit foamy" turn into whatever you're thinking by saying "that much foam". At bit, last time I checked is a small amount.

What you guys are forgetting, is that foam wasn't the issue. You are getting carried away with your cheerleading.

The matter of fact is that the STICKING issue has been resolved by removing the micromatic equipment.

The fact of the matter is, if you're having sticking issues, get rid of the micromatic gear.
    Last edited by Firebaall; 05-19-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Hot water over faucets that are stuck has been working for decades. Does not matter who manufactures them. Take your beef elsewhere.

aspinallar is offline Senior Member

I like my MM stuff.
    works like a charm
    tower, hoses, taps, faucets.
    sticking never an issue.
    Alan in PA

bolcitybol is offline New Member

hi i like stuf