Home Beer Retail Beer Commercial Closed Chemical Systems

Default Where to Find Cheapest Kegs In South Jersey

Thanks to all for the help thus far as I am new to the scene here with my first kegerator. There has been a lot of helpful information on this site and I have been referring to it a lot!

I search for this topic both on this forum and on the web with no luck. I figured I would start a thread and people can add other Towns and States as well.

I live in Atco, NJ and am looking for the best and cheapest place to buy Kegs in my area.

My first keg was a 1/4 of Miller Light purchased at Canals in Berlin for 49.95 with tax. No deposit as I had an empty keg that came with my unit.

My question is where have people from my area (South Jersey) had the most success with cheap keg prices?

Miller Light was my first test keg and now will be moving on to Dogfish, Sam Adams, and other more flavorful beers and know that these can be expensive.

I think a price tracker can be useful to all! Cheers.

I go to Canals in Delran for all my beer. A 1/6 of Sierra Pale Ale is about $62.
    "No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
    -John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough

Just bought a 1/2 of Miller Light at Canals in Berlin yesterday for $65.

I wanted to get Sam Adams but those are special order and everything else that I wanted such as a 1/6 of Dogfish was over $100. On a strict budget right now and I can not justify anything over $100 to the wife!

Quote Originally Posted by 81david View Post
    I wanted to get Sam Adams but those are special order and everything else that I wanted such as a 1/6 of Dogfish was over $100. On a strict budget right now and I can not justify anything over $100 to the wife!
    All the Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams are special order at the Delran Canal's and it only takes a couple of days to come in, all of them are around $62. Call the Delran store and ask for Ray, he is the beer manager there. It sounds like you are getting ripped off in Berlin.

Florida East Coast-Rather be in Tennessee

Be sure to take your Gold Card if you plan on a keg of Dogfish Head. Going rate here is about $93-$95 for a 1/6 bbl. of 60 Minute IPA. Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams-$58-$59

She never gave me the price of the Sam Adams since it was special order and I needed a keg that they had in stock. I will call before this keg runs out and hopefully get a Sam for around $62 otherwise I will call Delran. It is a shame as I use to work down the road in Moorestown, would have been so convenient! Thanks for the info.

My guess is that $62 is probably for a 1/6 barrel of Sam Adams. I hate 1/6 barrels. 1/3 of the beer for (typically) 1/2 the price of a 1/2 barrel.

Home Brew IPA

I agree with you Cubby. Problem is most of my friends only seem to like Miller Light and Bud Light so if I had a 1/2 of Sam being the only one drinking it would take some time....not that I am against that! Price wise you are totally on point hence that is why this time I went with 1/2 of Miller instead of 1/4 being the price difference was $65 compared to $49.

I have found that my friends will drink most anything I have on tap. Their favorite beer is free beer.

And if it lasts you a while, that's no big deal. A keg will be quite fine to drink for a least a few months. I know several beer nerds with very discerning beer tastes that have had kegs on tap for 5 or 6 months and the beer is quite fine. It depends on the style, of course. Anything very hoppy, like an IPA, will lose a significant bit of hop flavor in that time frame, but if you're talking about something like Sam Adams Lager or even their Ale, I would have no problems keeping those 3-4 months even.

It's cool that you want to please your friends, but man, it's YOUR kegerator. I would tap it with what you want. I'm just sayin.

Also, you can get a growler or two, and then fill them up to take with you to a party or whatever. I do that all the time. So there's the added savings of not having to pick up a six pack of something.

Home Brew IPA

Thumbs up

Cubby,

You are spot on in my mind Free Beer is the best beer and one should not be picky. Problem for me is that a lot of the guys I normally hang with are my wifes friends husbands and that is how we became friends. We have a good amount of parties and get togethers at the house and one party that I had bought a keg of Miller Light for three guys left to go by their own beer....Bud Light none the less!

What can I say I guess I like trying to please people too much and want people to be enjoying the keg beer with me.

I definitely want to get a Nice Hoppy IPA in their soon as that is my favorite. Dogfish 60 minute is rather expensive so I will need to find something else cheaper for the time being as I lost my job in October and the new one does not pay me anywhere near as much!!

I do have one Growler now and it has definitely come in handy.

Cheers my friend!

I agree that JOE Canals (not the original Canals) is the cheapest I've found for kegs in South Jersey. $42.99 Lite 1/4 and $44.99 Yuengling 1/4 last weekend. But if you are looking for good selection and don't want to order ahead, try Total Wine and More on Rt. 38 in Cherry Hill. You can walk into the beer cooler and browse the large selection of domestics and imports (too many to list). They even have a big board with the sizes and prices of their kegs. No more looking for a clerk or beer manager and playing 20 questions about what they may or may not have available. I always get my Sam Adams and Flying Fish seasonals there. Just my 2 cents!
    Woke up this morning, got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
    Jim Morrison

Total Wine & More is behind the Cherry Hill Mall correct? I work in Cherry Hill off of Brace Rd so that should not be too far to check out. Thanks for the info! Cheers!

You can also buy directly from the brewery in Philadelphia. Fresh, locally produced, beers are a great value. It's legal in New Jersey to bring up to 1/4 barrel from out of state for personal consumption. They're open for retail sales most days and some even offer free tasting on Saturdays so you can try before you buy.

Here is a link to the Total Wine Cherry Hill Beer pricing list... kegs are at the bottom:

http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store...cherryhill.pdf
    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

There's some beer there for close to $100 a case! does anyone actually buy that stuff?

In the section on kegs there's something called a 1/2 Union (which costs a lot more)

---- what's a 1/2 Union?
    Alan in PA

Which Brewery in Philadelphia....Flying Fish?

Yeah what is 1/2 Union? I Googled it with no results!

Thanks for that price list, major help!

Quote Originally Posted by cubby_swans View Post
    My guess is that $62 is probably for a 1/6 barrel of Sam Adams. I hate 1/6 barrels. 1/3 of the beer for (typically) 1/2 the price of a 1/2 barrel.
    Your right, it is a 1/6. I hate them too but a 1/2 is too much and nothing good comes in a 1/4 (except Yuengling, but I've grown tired of it). I may just bite it and go for the half.

Cubby,
    What's your thought on a pale ale or pilsner on tap for 5 or 6 months? They aren't very hoppy, but do have some hop flavor to them.

Quote Originally Posted by aspinallar View Post
    There's some beer there for close to $100 a case! does anyone actually buy that stuff?
    Yes. I recently bought four 4pks of Founders KBS @ $20 a 4pk. So that beer was $120 a case. Just the other day I drank a bottle of Mikkellar 1000 IBU. It was $11.99 for one 12oz bottle. I also recently purchased a bottle of Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti for $25 for a 750ml bottle. A beer/wine store me had 2 bottles of Brewdog Zephyr for sale at $100 each. I did not buy one of those, but they sold them withing about 15 minutes of posting them on-line. Also, the same store sold 12 bottles of Sam Adams Utopias at $150 per bottle without even putting them on the shelf. They had a waiting list as long as my arm.

Anyone who uses the phrase "Champagne tastes on a beer budget" doesn't know jack about beer.

Home Brew IPA

Quote Originally Posted by jlopez77 View Post
    Cubby,
    What's your thought on a pale ale or pilsner on tap for 5 or 6 months? They aren't very hoppy, but do have some hop flavor to them.
    Depends on the Pale Ale or Pilsner. Some of them can be quite hoppy. I would probably be fine with either style at up to about 4 months old at most. Like I said, depends on the individual beer, though.

Home Brew IPA

I wish more places would provide a price list like that. I asked at a "Joe Canal's" and you would have thought I was asking for their first born.

No idea what the 1/2 Union is... I have bought at the Total Wine in De and they don't have that on their list. The prices in DE stores are considerably higher as well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 81david View Post
    Which Brewery in Philadelphia....Flying Fish?

Yeah what is 1/2 Union? I Googled it with no results!

Thanks for that price list, major help!
    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Let's see......
    $150 a bottle x 165 bottles in a half = $24,780 per half - barrel

Amazing!
    Alan in PA

I live In Winslow and get my 1/6 Kegs at Canal's in Berlin. They can order just about anything. Here's their price list of a couple of the sixtels they routinely carry. I just had them order 1/6 keg of Hopfish IPA (Flying Fish) a couple of weeks ago and I think it was $53.00. I love Stone's Arrogant Bastard, but at $93.00 I'll stick to buying it in the 22 oz bottles for under $5.00.
    Troegs Hopback - $71
    Stone IPA - $87
    Old Brown Dog Ale - $64
    Dogfish 60 min - $82
    Victory Hopdevil - $66
    Flying Dog Pale Ale - $69
    Sly Fox Pilsner - $70
    Stone Arrogant Bastard - $93
    Allagash White - $71
    Magic Hat #9 - $59.99

Hey,

I am right around the corner from you in Atco. I shop at that Canal's probably once per week and it is where I get all my kegs from! Great microbrew selection there. Thanks for your post. Cheers!