Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Kegerator Colder

Hi guys! Thanks for having me!

I've searched around and can't get a good explaination of how to bypass the temp controls on a kegerator to make the unit get colder.....I want to do exactly what this guy did in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb-_n...eature=related

does anyone know of where I can find detailed instructions on how to install a seperate temperature controller or at least modify my current one?

The unit shown in the video is a Danby is yours a Danby too? If so the link below should help.

Other Units are a pretty simple fix to bypass.
    The thermostat is basically an on/off switch, like your light switch on the wall. You will be turning the switch to the on position all the time to cause the compressor to run all the time, then give control to an external temp. controller. These thermostats have either 2 or sometimes 3 wires going to them. The 3rd is a ground wire if it's there. To bypass the thermostat you just connect the 2 wires together which causes the compressor to run continuously.

If you still need assistance and want quick help post your Unit brand, the brand & model of the external temp. controller you will be using and a photo of the thermostat without the covering housing that shows the wires attached to it.
    Last edited by pvs6; 01-01-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

He mentioned he built his own temperature controller - You could contact him and see if he would be willing to share his plans. But unless you have any circuitry experience, I would think just purchasing an external temp controller would be much simpler.

Comment

You'll have to at least tell us what brand of kegerator you have.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

how can i make my beer cold with out a Kegerator

Comment

Originally posted by LUVBEER View Post
            Take it outside & put it in the snow.

THE ICEMAN
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by LUVBEER View Post
              Refrigerator History - Invention of the Refrigerator

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Sorry guys, my model is this one here, the Edgestar:

KC2000SS EdgeStar Full Size Kegerator And Keg Beer Cooler

I am pretty good with circuitry just have never messed with compressors before. Anyone have a link to a good external temp. controller?

Comment

I linked to one in my comment

Comment

Johnson Controls makes a nice digital unit that I use with my Summit Kegerator, works well no problems! I have it set to keep the unit at 36 degrees with a 2 degree differential with a setting to kick the unit on every 12 mins. Not sure if every 12 mins is too much but compressor usually does not run that long since it is already around the proper temp. Hope this helps, cheers!

Comment

I also own an edgestar kegerator and have been messing with the adjustment screws on the thermostat but have not been able to get is any colder than 38 deg with my second beer poring out at 39-40 if you figure it out please post what you did

Comment

Own edgestar 2000 with Ranco ETC-111000 Electronic Digital Temperature Controller. Connect the blue and black thermostat wires together and the compressor will run full time. The green is a ground wire and and don't need to be connected to anything once the black and blue are spliced.

Comment

lol!!! ok turns out I had a bad thermometer to read my temperature....I did the ice bath test and it was reading 38 degrees, therefore it's about 4-5 degrees off.....I went and bought an actual refridgerator thermometer and it's reading 38 degrees. This is great news and honestly I'm just gonna stick with it there. Is there any real advantages other than slightly more chilled beer to get it down to 34-36? Or should I just stick with 38? Lemme know, I'm up for a project

Comment

The beer temp is 100% up to you and your preferences. The colder beer gets, the more it's flavor profile is masked. So colder = less flavor. In MY opinion, colder is a disadvantage, but some people like their beer super cold, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think people should drink their beer so that they enjoy it the most. Depending on how fast they drink it, it will likely warm up in the glass as they drink it, and they'll eventually get to the flavors they were missing when they poured it. If you enjoy your beer served at 38, I'd say keep it there.

If you do decide to go colder, be aware that you'll need to adjust your co2 pressure accordingly. +1 psi for every 2 degrees above your current setting, and -1psi for every 2 degrees colder.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

awesome man! I think 38 should be perfect!

Comment

Working...
                              X