Haier Kegerator Temp Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jwoelfel79,
    OK, you got 2 choices, do what your cousin did and run the unit near full bore, the ice will build up and beer won't get that cold, but will be drinkable or you can do what others have done and mod the unit. Most units will have slight gaps in gasket where you can slip a piece of paper through easily, the magnets usually takes care of this problem, to see if you have a serious problem throw a very bright flashlight inside and close door, if you see lines of light anywhere coming from gaps in gasket then you have a problem. I don't think your 50 degree is from a loose gasket. Ice is a fantastic insulator, the cold plate without ice will radiate at 23-28 degrees, with ice about 35-40. A unit set to the maximum will run continuously, yet with ice build up the temperature inside won't go below 40 degrees, you can try this
    1) Turn off unit, defrost, DO NOT MANUALLY CHIP ICE OFF COLD PLATE, let nature melt ice
    2) Set thermostat near the 3/4 mark (somewhere between normal and colder)
    3) Put in a wireless thermometer that measures present temp, highest and lowest
    4) Let stand for a couple of days (you can do it with or without empty keg)
    Check the highest and lowest temperature daily and rest after you check, I've had lows of 28 and highs of 48, that gives me pours of 36-38 degrees. If you get these temps, you can search under Haier and get tons of ideas for fans and tower coolers and timers (to prevent ice build up), again last thing you should do is the thermostat mod.
    KB

Comment

Well I turned on the kegerator last night after I leveled the door and cleaned all necessary parts just to see where I was temp wise. I woke up this morning to a temp of 10 degrees. The compressor cycles when it reaches 20 degrees and cuts off at 10. Temp was taken with a food thermometer and measured air temp of the empty fridge. Please note this is with the thermostat turned down to coldest and unmodded. I guess that leveling the door did more than I thought. Is there anything I need to do/check or can I cut the temp back to 30-40 and try out a keg? Thanks for all the help.

Comment

jwoelfel79,
        Are your sure you are reading the Fahrenheit and not Celsius? I have NEVER known the Haier to get that cold, I'd kill to get those temps from a Haier (in Celsius 10-20 would be 50-68 Fahrenheit), if it is Fahrenheit, I would cut back to normal setting see what happens, at that temperature you'll freeze the beer for sure.
        KB

Comment

thermometer is in fahrenheit but again its just a little thermometer that you would buy in your local supermarket but it definetly says 10 degrees fahrenheit. Ill back it off tonight and see what temp it gives me tomorrow morning.

Comment

jwoelfel79,
            Either calibrate your little thermometer or pick up a cheap wireless from Wal-Mart or other, you really need to get an accurate reading before you make any changes, again I have never known the Haier to get that low in temperature, 10 is EXTREMELY LOW.
            KB

Comment

The ice is probably because you had leaks in the door...sucking in humid air. maybe now that's fixed.

My Haier/Kenmore will get very cold. Don't know about 10 F air temp...but I have had 20 F using an accurate thermometer...with room to get colder on the thermostat. That's after I made adjustments to the thermostat. The keg froze...blah, blah, blah...long story.

Clean the lines and tap really well. Buy a keg and enjoy. I'm no expert...by any stretch.

Keep reading this forum. As you do, you will want to make some changes...like longer beer line, one or two computer fans inside, etc.

For now though...it sounds like you got a good deal on a kegerator. Cool!

Comment

Working...
              X