Where to get CO2 tank filled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get CO2 tank filled?

I just bought a brand spanking new 5 lb CO2 tank. I'm finding a hard time locating a place that will refill them instead of exchanging it out. Am I just going to have to bite the bullett and give up my new tank? I'm in Marietta, Ga if anyone happens to be in the area and knows a place. Thanks.

I live in Southwest Georgia and I simply take my tank to a local welding supply shop and have them fill it. Cost about ten bucks. At first they wanted to just change it out like you said but I was very insistant that I would only do business with them under the understanding that I kept my own tank. Like you, I don't want to trade my nice clean new aluminum tank for a nasty old rusty steel one...

Semper Fi,
    The Gunns

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
    Semper Fi,
    The Gunns

Im a MicroMatic Beer Fanatic! Are you?

Comment

Well I finally found a place that will fill my new tank instead of exchanging it. It's called Cliff's Fire Extinguisher Company in Woodstock, GA. I was surprised at the number of Welding Supply places I called as well as gas places that would only do exchanges.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by brettatk

Well I finally found a place that will fill my new tank instead of exchanging it. It's called Cliff's Fire Extinguisher Company in Woodstock, GA. I was surprised at the number of Welding Supply places I called as well as gas places that would only do exchanges.
        That's because most of them send thier tanks out to be filled instead of doing it on site.

Semper Fi,
        The Gunns

Semper Fi,
        The Gunns

Im a MicroMatic Beer Fanatic! Are you?

Comment

I ran into similiar problems. I bought a 3.5lb tank on e-bay. I live in a small town in Alabama and the welding supply store here can only do exchanges and they couldn't exchange a 3.5lb. A 5lb tank was the smallest they handled. So they would send it off and it would take almost a week to get it back. I found places that would fill my tank but it was either a 30 min. drive north to Decatur or 30 min. drive south to B'ham. I finally bit the bullet and bought a 5 lb. tank from the local welding supply so I can just exchange it next time.

rr007
          rr007

Comment

There is a place over in Kennesaw off Cobb Industrial called Cintas Fire Protection that would refill a 5# for $19. Last time I went I believe I saw a notice they were moving to Norcross.

Comment

Have you guys ever called a full service liquor store (keg supplier)? I have found that a lot of larger stores that sell keg beer, also have a co2 filling station in back. However this is the West coast, but I cant see why that practice wouldn't be done in Georgia also....

BEER--- the perfect FOOD!
              BEER--- the perfect FOOD!

Comment

It's an expensive way to go but paintball supply shops usually fill on premesis-you'll pay almost double compared to a fire extinguisher type place.

Work hard, play harder.
                Work hard, play harder.

Comment

Every one is fine with the Fire guys but you need to ask if what they are giving you is food grade. (it will not be) if they fill with industrial grade you are getting all the trash from the manufacture and that is oil (all kinds), sulfurs, acetylene, argon, and other gasses that you can not get ride of in your lungs you will eventually get emphysema from the argon this is the gas that is most found in the industrial grade Co2. It will collect in the bottom of your lungs due to it’s density ( heaver then air) and you can not get it out, thus diminished lung capacity this is a real concern so be careful. You need to ask the fire guys and anyone else you buy your Co2 from, anyone, that they give you the gas chemical breakdown from the manufacture something like the MSDS of the gas; this will show you everything that is in it. Industrial Grade Co2 is a strange and ever changing animal it can have a myriad of trash or other gases in it due to the CGA control (Compressed Gas Association) this is a non government, self industry regulated organization that is not in business for the food industries they have been fighting Coke and Pepsi for some time, that is why they have (Coke /Pepsi) established their own standards for their products and buy direct from the Co2 manufactures. Remember that Co2 is a commodity and can change hands through gas broker untelling how many times, through tanks that have had who know in it last. I am sorry for the info but it is good that you know. Now I have seen a Co2 prefilled disposable 3 lbs. aluminum cylinders in a six pack from a Company that certifies the grade and delivers the six packs via UPS with the gas mixture and the NSF certification. One cylinder lasts about 6.0 half kegs they are great I think they will be on the market this fall. Then when they are spent you take them to the aluminum guy and he gives me $2.67 to $2,89 per cylinder for the aluminum. There is no trash or anything else in the gas it is pure certified food grade. They also said they are going to have the cylinders in a mixed gas as well. They were at the bar and nightclub show in Vegas this year. Keep an eye out for them.

Comment

I am also in Atlanta and swapping them is all I have heard of .A.B. makes a c02 filter you that supposedly prevents that trash from mixing with the beer.Most of my expiereance is from the beer and restaurant industry but there are several gas companys in the metro atlanta beverage cotrol and nuco to name a couple that provide food grade gas mixed gas only comes in the nitro fitting bottle (bottle has female connection as oppsed to c02 bottle having male connection)

Comment

Hey Brett. I live in Kennesaw and I've got a nice new clean 5lb CO2 tank. Reading a later post, I'm a little concerned about the quality of the CO2.

If I get my tank refilled at this "Cliff's" place will I need to get a CO2 filter? Is there somewhere in GA that refills with "food grade" CO2?

BTW - This is my first post. I'm still in the process of setting up my bar to remote dispense and this site has been INVALUABLE in helping me do it!
                      "I would kill every person in this room for a drop of sweet beer!" - Homer Simpson

Comment

quote:Originally posted by darck1

Hey Brett. I live in Kennesaw and I've got a nice new clean 5lb CO2 tank. Reading a later post, I'm a little concerned about the quality of the CO2.

If I get my tank refilled at this "Cliff's" place will I need to get a CO2 filter? Is there somewhere in GA that refills with "food grade" CO2?

BTW - This is my first post. I'm still in the process of setting up my bar to remote dispense and this site has been INVALUABLE in helping me do it!
                        Okay. Forget the previous post. I've found a place called "Beverage Control Incorporated"

5060 N Royal Atlanta Dr
                        Tucker, GA 30084-3074
                        (770) 939-9637

They do refills on CO2 tanks (yes - refills! you can keep your existing tank) and they do it while you wait.
                        "I would kill every person in this room for a drop of sweet beer!" - Homer Simpson

Comment

CO2 Tanks Filled

Just found out that ****'s Sporting Goods in Kennesaw fills CO2 .

****'s Sporting Goods
                          691 Ernest W Barrett Pkwy NW
                          Kennesaw, GA 30144
                          Phone: (770) 281-0200

Comment

Well, I am from the Kennesaw area, so I called ****'s Sporting Goods at
                            691 Ernest W Barrett Pkwy NW and they said they did refill CO2 tanks. When I got there, I went upstairs for a refill, but they said they cannot refill 5# tanks used for Kegerators.

I was also concerned about it being industrial grade instead of food grade CO2 so I drove over to Beverage Control Inc Gasses for a refill. They were quite friendly and got a refill in no time flat. I also bought another filled tank there since I don't want to run out of CO2 again at an inopportune time.

Comment

I've looked at the bigger air/gas supply companies. They offer co2 and medical grade co2. they're co2 measures out from 99.9 to 99.99% pure. Medical grade comes out to 99.999% (or more) pure and costs a lot more. I'd put money on it that the sporting good's store is selling the same co2 that Beverage Control is.

I found this link to airgas, one of the bigger gas suppliers. This is what they have for co2. Their lowest purity on co2 is 99.9%, which would be completely fine for a kegerator.

I get mine filled at a paintball shop. $10 flat for a 5lb tank.
                              Last edited by cubby_swans; 12-03-2008, 03:32 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                              X