Yuengling Taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuengling Taste

I bought a old fridge and purchased a conversion kit from this website. My newbie mistake was that after I had brought the keg home from the store I tapped it than tried to pour a pint. My question is would this ruin the whole keg?
    Throughout the 1/4 keg, I had some foam issues and when the head died down, there was just an off taste. It tasted nothing like the Yuengling pints I had at various places. The kit came with a 5 foot 3/16 beer line fyi. I poured a pint,dumped it then poured and took the temperature with an electronic thermometer, and I was in the 38 degree ballpark. I put the psi at around 12, and I live in south florida. My question is did I ruin the keg by tapping to early, or did I just have a bad keg?

You can't ruin a keg by "tapping early". If it went flat before you finished it, the psi was probably too low.
    SEAN
    I cool my tower with Beer.
    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

What would be the reason for the off taste? The kit was brand new so it the lines wouldn't have been dirty.

Comment

Are you sure you bought the same beer you've had before? Yuengling is not a type of beer. It's a brewery that makes more than one style of beer.

Saying you're having a Yuengling is like saying you're having an Anheuser Busch.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am just used to saying Yuengling. I am refering to Yuengling Traditional Lager.

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
            Are you sure you bought the same beer you've had before? Yuengling is not a type of beer. It's a brewery that makes more than one style of beer.

Saying you're having a Yuengling is like saying you're having an Anheuser Busch.
            Just for your info there C.S. shopping for Yuengling in south Fl. unless it is for bottles or cans you will get the lager

Comment

+1 that you can't ruin a keg you bought by tapping "early". The distributor you are buying from is selling you beer that is ready to be consumed and enjoyed.

Canned, bottled and draft beer that are all the exact same "kind" and "recipe" will still have subtle taste differences. Guinness Draught tastes great but if you drink it out of a can with that usless little ball thing, it wont taste the same. Long story short... make sure you are comparing not only apples to apples but "mackintosh" to "mackintosh" and not "Mackintosh" to "Granny Smith".

Learn about the proper settings for your Lager as far as temp and pressure and you should have a great tasting pour!

+1 to Cubby's comment too. I am orgasmic over Yuengling Lager! However, the "Light Lager" leaves a metallic taste in my mouth that I dont like at all. I am currently finishing a 1/4 slim of Yuengling Black and Tan that I enjoy but would probably never order in a keg ever again. I LOVE YUENGLING LAGER! Other Yuengling beers are good too but not what I would buy again in a keg.

Lastly, if you are really unhappy with your keg's taste, call the distributor and talk to them about it. They may be willing to come check out your setup or something. My guy was going to drive 45 min when I had a problem but I figured out the problem on my own thanks to the great ppl posting on this forum!

I'm no expert but I will through out what I know and what has worked for me. Don't get discouraged. A kegerator is more complicated than opening a pop top but you willl get much more out of it once you tweak thinks properly!

Good Luck!

Yuenglinger

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I though I ruined the first one, because as soon as I lugged it in by myself it had shaken up quite a bit, and I tapped before it had time to completely settle, and properly cool so I though I had maybe ruined the keg. I let my second keg cool down a bit and settle a day before I tapped it, I am still having a little foam trouble but nothing like the first keg. I will pour a glass and then a quick second pint, and will still usually have around a 4-5 finger head. But it dissipates quickly and thats not really a concern. I had a second opinion on the taste of it. He was at the bar and had a couple of pints, then had a couple of pints here, and he said they were basically the same except mine had a little more bite, maybe due the the carbonation level and the fact that I don't freeze my glasses? I am running the system like I should after reading other posts on here. 13-14 psi, and I am around the 38 degree temp. Maybe my info is mixed, but I was reading how bars usually set the psi under 10, and I have watched them pour at the bar. They will tilt the glass and keep overflowing the mug till all the head is gone. So could it just be those combinations at the pub that could throw off the taste compared to mine?

Comment

I keep my Yuengling at 34 degrees (second pour) and 10 PSI...maybe too cold for some, but I like it that way. BTW, I am just about at sea level, so adjust accordingly for your local.

Comment

Working...
                  X